KDE's Dolphin File Manager Now Has A "Share" Menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meir View Post

When they replace the error messages with a sad face emoji, that's when we know the world is truly lost... (yes Microsoft, I'm talking to you)
    On that note, I actually just filed a bug on a new notification in Firefox. ("Added to Library!")

Aside from being at odds with agreed-upon UI design practices of the last 2+ decades (don't use terminal punctuation on short, grammatically abreviated status messages aside from the occasional question mark), ending it with an exclamation mark carries an annoying and/or patronizing sense of faux excitement similar to using words like "rockstar" and "ninja" in tech-sector job titles. (I want my status messages to feel like adding "Yay!" to the end would be out of place.)
    Last edited by ssokolow; 08 July 2018, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by labyrinth153 View Post
      They should reduce the redundancy of options in that menu perhaps.
      But have you used KDE sometimes? If you do not want a service you can disable it with a click. Sometimes I think people always complain about everything, if there is because it's there, if it's not there, it's because it's not there.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        Anyone who uses this share stuff will not be using Linux. So who the hell is it for?
        Really? You don't see any use for menu items like "send to contact" or "send to device"? You have no use whatsoever for sending documents and photos and stuff to other people?

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
          NOOOOOO!!!!!

I realize young people can't eat a meal without taking a photo and sharing it on Instagram but I do not want this built into my file-manager. I realize resistance is futile but I'm going to whine about it anyway. Please don't add like and subscribe and report buttons in addition to this. I can easily not use Facebook or Twitter or any of those things (I do use vlive.tv, I must have that kpop fix) but I don't want to avoid using a file-manger (though there's always Midnight Commander as a fallback).
          So you, old-timer, also never used the Send To... submenu on Windows? 'Cause this Share menu is basically the same as Send To..., except that it supports social media services as well. So it's not as modern as you think it is.
          And if you really don't like it, you can edit the menu or just not use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
            So you, old-timer, also never used the Send To... submenu on Windows? 'Cause this Share menu is basically the same as Send To..., except that it supports social media services as well. So it's not as modern as you think it is.
            And if you really don't like it, you can edit the menu or just not use it.
            I switched back when Windows 98 was popular. I don't recall it having a Send To submenu, but I could be mistaken.

Comment

NOOOOOO!!!!!

I realize young people can't eat a meal without taking a photo and sharing it on Instagram but I do not want this built into my file-manager. I realize resistance is futile but I'm going to whine about it anyway. Please don't add like and subscribe and report buttons in addition to this. I can easily not use Facebook or Twitter or any of those things (I do use vlive.tv, I must have that kpop fix) but I don't want to avoid using a file-manger (though there's always Midnight Commander as a fallback).
              This is mostly menu entries that already exist. They are just combining stuff that was scattered throughout various levels of the existing menu into a single sub-menu.

Comment

Originally posted by pemartins View Post
                Are you a Microsoft or Google or Apple shareholder by any chance? Are you trying to raise some new clients for the big companies?
                Neither of those three. Otherwise I would obviously sing the praises of a "share" button and how much your data is important to be shared. But no, as it stands, I will reiterate. No Linux user uses share functionality. No matter how much you tell me otherwise, I know you are joking

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Neither of those three. Otherwise I would obviously sing the praises of a "share" button and how much your data is important to be shared. But no, as it stands, I will reiterate. No Linux user uses share functionality. No matter how much you tell me otherwise, I know you are joking
                  I disagree. The sharing can also happen to your own devices (like phones, memory sticks) or personal services (like email, Nextcloud, Owncloud, Dropbox) which are quite different from social media that everyone seems to think when talking about sharing. Even if it was only about social media, there would still be some Linux users using these features. Maybe not majority but a decent minority. They would probably be quite selective on what they share and where though.

Comment

I switched back when Windows 98 was popular. I don't recall it having a Send To submenu, but I could be mistaken.
                    Here's what the Send To submenu looks like on my Windows 98 SE retro-PC:

I remember it being present back in Windows 95 too but I don't currently have that installed on anything. (Just DOS 6.22, Windows for Workgroups 3.11, Windows 98 SE, Windows XP, and Linux.)

Comment

The Send To menu already existed back in Windows 95 and it still exists to this very day, so 98/98 SE had it as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X