KDE's Dolphin File Manager Now Has A "Share" Menu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
    We already have a "web file manager" called a web browser.
    Yeah, but none of them come close to the file manager capability that Konqueror had

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post

How about just not pushing any of the buttons under the "share" menu? It's not like you're forced to share now...
      Exactly! Plus, I'm pretty sure you can edit the menu (aren't entries stored in a file in ~/.local/share or something?

Comment

Soon, this will look like Boeing 747 cockpit.

Really, plugins. Except c/p and terminal here I don't think I used anything from that A4 menu.

There is something in convention over configuration. Guys in java realized that ever fucking thing having a knob is not a smart thing to do. Maybe these guys will also at some point before unity8 becomes usable.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          I would appreciate it if all features like this were plugins.
          They are. I recognize that menu. It's where the DolphinPart KPart (used by Dolphin and Konqueror for displaying folder contents) exposes detected "service menus" (another KDE innovation that got generalized into DES-EMA when FreeDesktop standardized the desktop entry formats KDE and GNOME had come up with.) which works by allowing applications to specify integrations for the file manager while they're declaring their launcher menu entries and file-type associations.

The clutter you see is equivalent to how your Firefox or Chrome would look if they came with a big pile of extensions preinstalled and they all defined custom context menu entries.

(For example, the "Compress" submenu will go away if you uninstall the Ark archive manager, "Send to 'OnePlus' via KDE Connect" will go away if you uninstall KDE Connect, "Send via Bluetooth" will go away if you remove BlueDevil, etc.)

Originally posted by droste View Post

How about just not pushing any of the buttons under the "share" menu? It's not like you're forced to share now...
          Agreed. I think that, if anywhere, the file manager is where a "Share" option belongs, because it's fundamentally the same functionality as the Windows 9x "Send to..." submenu which we used to quickly send a file to a floppy disk back in the 90s without having to manually uncover the desktop, open up My Computer, then open the floppy, then drag the file over.

Sending files somewhere is file management. (Though having it in KScreenshot also makes sense, given that most of the screenshots I take wind up either in Dropbox or attached to e-mails.)

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Yeah, but none of them come close to the file manager capability that Konqueror had
          Konqueror is a testament to the power of combining KParts (look up a pluggable, embeddable mimetype handler via user-configurable associations) and KIOSlaves (pluggable I/O backends that can be looked up by URL scheme) in a harness that allows tabbed and arbitrarily split windows. It's a shame that Konqueror is effectively on life support for lack of interest. KDE 4 never really fixed all of the papercuts they introduced into Konqueror 3.5.x while porting it to Qt 4.

It being a web browser emerged from having an HTML KPart and an HTTP KIOSlave and, once you have that combination, it requires a lot of complex additions to ensure the level of security for remote content that people expect.
          Last edited by ssokolow; 08 July 2018, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Seriously, 2018 and someone objects a sharing menu on the file browser?

"I don't use it so it shouldn't exist"... and then I see people asking why Linux isn't more popular. Can someone guess why?
            Oh and add to that mentality the necessity of using the command line (that should have been dropped around 20 years ago) and the fact that we do not have an android emulator (Genymotion is no good) for Linux.

Seriously, see what your daughters, parents, grandparents, regular every day joe neighbors use and want in an operating system and then Linux developers will find out that we live in a wired click -and-done generation.
            And not for long, the speak-and-done generation is taking over.

So why isn't Linux more popular? Because people in the Linux community think, in 2018, that having a sharing option in a file manager is a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by meir View Post
              Are they going to replace our programs with "Apps" too?
              I hope not because I'm already tired of this crap.
              I don't know what's so hard for people to understand that:
              A program is made by a programmer in a programming language. (this makes sense)
              And not:
              An application is made by an apper? in an apping? language. (this is nonsense)
              This marketing bullshit pushed by giants is ruining everything, even the language.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I hope not because I'm already tired of this crap.
                I don't know what's so hard for people to understand that:
                A program is made by a programmer in a programming language. (this makes sense)
                And not:
                An application is made by an apper? in an apping? language. (this is nonsense)
                This marketing bullshit pushed by giants is ruining everything, even the language.
                When they replace the error messages with a sad face emoji, that's when we know the world is truly lost... (yes Microsoft, I'm talking to you)

Comment

Originally posted by pemartins View Post
                  So why isn't Linux more popular? Because people in the Linux community think, in 2018, that having a sharing option in a file manager is a bad idea.
                  Anyone who uses this share stuff will not be using Linux. So who the hell is it for?

I'm glad KDE got it too. I always thought it was unfair that only Gnome users got subjected to this sloppy stuff .

But as we have seen before. Users who consume big fat desktop environments will soon just put up with this crud .

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Anyone who uses this share stuff will not be using Linux. So who the hell is it for?

I'm glad KDE got it too. I always thought it was unfair that only Gnome users got subjected to this sloppy stuff .

But as we have seen before. Users who consume big fat desktop environments will soon just put up with this crud .
                    I use Linux exclusively (if you exclude my BIOS and games, which get a pass because the open-source model isn't well-suited to "throwaway software" like games, I can count the number of closed-source packages I use on one hand) and I'll use a Share option.

Heck, I was actually planning to hack together something like that for PCManFM (Lubuntu), since it's just a custom file action and it'd be nice to have a convenient way to "convert" a file on my hard drive into a URL that I can paste into whatever chat I'm engaged in.
                    Last edited by ssokolow; 08 July 2018, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                      So... Linux was made exclusively for you and since you don't use the share functionality, it is useful to no one. And anyone who cares about it can just drop dead somewhere else because they are not relevant.

You really gotta read what you wrote and try to realize how deeply troubled your affirmation is.
                      Are you a Microsoft or Google or Apple shareholder by any chance? Are you trying to raise some new clients for the big companies?

I've been using the share function from a file browser since the first time I was ever able to lay my eyes on it, and I use it daily. I use it professionally daily to send attachments to mails, contacts, cloud services and whatever I have available.
                      So... Should I be waiting for you to write next that people who work do not use Linux?
                      Seriously, your statement is deeply troubled.

Comment

Working...
                      X