Kdenlive's Significantly Refactored Video Editor Is Now Ready For Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
    My money is that the video-editing bits are C-libraries.
    They use the MLT framework: https://github.com/mltframework/mlt which is C and C++ apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post

Sounds interesting! Could you give me a hint which one you have in mind?
      OpenShot is an award-winning free and open-source video editor for Linux, Mac, and Windows. Create videos with exciting video effects, titles, audio tracks, and animations.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

And those use Python only for the UI or for the underlying video-editing as well? My money is that the video-editing bits are C-libraries.
        Apparently C++ is the wrong choice for a GUI since it has taken years and they still haven't fixed the most basic crashes.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          OpenShot is an award-winning free and open-source video editor for Linux, Mac, and Windows. Create videos with exciting video effects, titles, audio tracks, and animations.
          And that is what I thought you might show us. They use a "libopenshot" that's written in C++ to speed up the critical parts - having that written in python is likely doable but usable only in scripts, not in an interactive gui.

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzler View Post

And that is what I thought you might show us. They use a "libopenshot" that's written in C++ to speed up the critical parts - having that written in python is likely doable but usable only in scripts, not in an interactive gui.
            Sure, but kdenlive also crashes when you click things in the GUI when no new video rendering is expected to occur.

Comment

Originally posted by dwagner View Post
              Unluckily, it took only one video clip import and putting it on the timeline till the first "segmentation fault".
              Was that with the appimage?

The first thing to suspect when things are so crashy that obviously nobody could have tested it is that you have mixed repositories. There are bound to be library incompatibilities across repositories that your package manager doesn't know about.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
                Was that with the appimage?
                Yes. AppImage run on an up-to-date Arch Linux installation.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Sure, but kdenlive also crashes when you click things in the GUI when no new video rendering is expected to occur.
                  Why do you mention crashes now? You were talking about performance improvements and how others had no issues with it even though they were using python - but as mentioned not for the critical parts...

Comment

Originally posted by torturedutopian View Post

As for the K-naming thingie, I think it's not been the case anymore for a long time ?
                    I just had a look. I have installed Kolphin, Kark, Kockular, and currently running Klasma... So where is this "not the case anymore"?

I actually liked it way more when devs got creative with unique names for their apps and still found a way to put a "K" somewhere... Way more creative than going the "simplsitic" route like "KDE Files", "KDE Software", "KDE Photos" or "KDE Boxes"...

Comment

It's not only a good KDE software, it's actually the best free video editor available. It's better than the free tools shipped with windows or even the expensive MAGIC suite, which is laggy and can barely decode any piece of movie. On top of that those expensive software are shipped with rootkit to root your computer for datas theft and activation.

Kdenlive is free, open source and works great! I'm looking forward to the VLC version of their movie editor, but for now Kdenlive is the best I've tried. It does not need that much to come and say bye bye sony vegas!

Comment

Working...
                      X