Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kdenlive's Significantly Refactored Video Editor Is Now Ready For Testing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Is it multithreaded yet?

    Comment


    • #32
      I have backed up Kdenlive projects with music and video+effects processing. Not used it for a long time, Kdenlive yes it loves to crash. I actually recommend Openshot over it, it is slower but I have had less issues with it. It seems as though if you really want to do serious video editing you are going to want to buy Lightworks.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by caligula View Post

        Apparently C++ is the wrong choice for a GUI since it has taken years and they still haven't fixed the most basic crashes.
        Been becoming oriented with C, while on my studies of becoming more familiarized with it I have ran across more than one instance of people camplaining about C++, it seems after a period of time due to the library stack size, it tends to become top heavy when it is being used to create larger applications? I am not coding yet, I am in the familiarization stage. Once I feel as though I have grasped enough I will start. I like to be as methodical and thorough as possible before I just start doing stuff.

        It seems C++ is best used for smaller and more lightweight purposes. Best used for less complex applications like a quick swiss army knife of sorts, as far as languages go.
        Last edited by creative; 07-08-2018, 02:22 PM.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by creative View Post

          Been becoming oriented with C, while on my studies of becoming more familiarized with it I have ran across more than one instance of people camplaining about C++, it seems after a period of time due to the library stack size, it tends to become top heavy when it is being used to create larger applications? I am not coding yet, I am in the familiarization stage. Once I feel as though I have grasped enough I will start. I like to be as methodical and thorough as possible before I just start doing stuff.

          It seems C++ is best used for smaller and more lightweight purposes. Best used for less complex applications like a quick swiss army knife of sorts, as far as languages go.
          No. You can use C++ for every program you like. You just have to be careful how you use it. caligula is just a smartass who likes to bash KDE and its projects (gnome-fanboy?), you really shouldn't listen to what he says.
          Don't get me wrong: python is a nice language. But in the end compiled languages have more power and can perform better. So large applications usually take that route. Chromium is written in C++, Firefox invented rust to get a safer language than C (instead of porting to C++). There are some browsers using Python (e.g. uzbl and qutebrowser) - but they use webkit-gtk and qtwebkit/qtwebengine to load and show the webpages, both are written in C++ (in fact qtwebengine uses blink which also drives chromium which is a fork of webkit which is a fork of - KHTML! Yes, an ancient kde c++ library drives the modern web! Sort of )

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
            Firefox invented rust to get a safer language than C (instead of porting to C++).
            Firefox does use C++.

            Comment


            • #36
              schmalzler Oh lol! Wow did not know that. Firefox and Chromium I would consider massive applications. Was reading that well done C++ looks a lot like C. Also found out that some games/game engines are now being built in Rust. I am basically learning C as a tool and for fun as well. Eventually want to have fun with microcontrollers and music stuff like synthesizers. C seems to be a good place to start learning for that type of stuff, always can pickup C++ or something else later. Seems C is the most portable that is why I decided to start becoming familiar with it. I know C++ can run on bare metal but I would rather go the old school route. Found a good book it seems on C just waiting to order which will be soon. I know C is tedious but looks like fun.
              Last edited by creative; 07-13-2018, 11:00 AM.

              Comment


              • #37
                C++ is a language for people who know how to deal with freedom.
                C++ does not force you to follow any particular programming paradigm, it supports almost all of them.
                C++ does not prevent you from using pointers or other CPU-near constructs that some people consider dangerous.

                Unluckily, the world today is so full of people who never experienced freedom (and probably never will), that they cannot see the benefits of it, only the risks.

                Outside of coding, similar trends are visible, sometimes to a ridiculous extent, where everything is expected to be totally fool-proof, even if that takes away a lot of possibilities and fun from those who are able to act reasonably in the presence of risk.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by dwagner View Post
                  C++ does not force you to follow any particular programming paradigm, it supports almost all of them.
                  C++ does not prevent you from using pointers or other CPU-near constructs that some people consider dangerous.
                  C++ isn't particularly good for funtional programming. Emulating pattern matching with templates is a PITA and tracking the lifetime of lambdas becomes hard without a Rust style borrow checker or integrated generational, moving garbage collector. As you might now, this is pretty hard to integrate in current C++. You can have RAII or conservative GC, but they're not good enough.

                  Unluckily, the world today is so full of people who never experienced freedom (and probably never will), that they cannot see the benefits of it, only the risks.
                  I think this is not true. I really appreciate lightweight high performance solutions, but dealing with slow software is often (not always, but very often) a minor obstacle. Security issues or segfaults are a major issue when trying to get the job done. When I'm developing software, I'm pretty satisfied with whatever paradigm and language if it doesn't make it too tedious to implement the idea. When using professional software made by some other guy, I very much expect it to just work. If it's 50% slower than competition, it's painful, but does not totally destroy your workflow. If it crashes constantly, redoing the lost changes since the last saved revision can cost a lot more. For example the video editing software are such pieces of crap on Linux that it's easier to buy a Mac and some professional video editors. The hardware is expensive, but it's well worth the money even for hobbies.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by menneskelighet View Post
                    Is it multithreaded yet?
                    There's initial support, but it's not recommended. Probably increases the likehood of crashes quite a lot.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by caligula View Post
                      For example the video editing software are such pieces of crap on Linux that it's easier to buy a Mac and some professional video editors. The hardware is expensive, but it's well worth the money even for hobbies.
                      Having edited numerous videos with kdenlive(-the-unrefactored-original) I cannot agree - it was not perfect, but not crazy unstable, one just had to avoid certain not-so-common operations one quickly learned to be unstable.
                      The refactored code, unluckily, is currently crashing on the most basic and mundane operations, and I am beginning to doubt that the people behind that refactoring know what they do.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X