Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Finally Offers An Easy Global Shortcut To Launch The Konsole

Phoronix: KDE Finally Offers An Easy Global Shortcut To Launch The Konsole

KDE finally has an on-by-default easy way global shortcut for launching the Konsole terminal application...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Didn't know about those shortkeys. Good to know!

Comment

Good article, I'm just a bit worried about the status of KDE when a "we have a new shortcut for something" is a noteworthy functionality for a 20+yo desktop.

Comment

I wish they'd bind all of this stuff to Win+Something. More often than I'd like, I wind up having to either remap bindings or take advantage of the "toggle global hotkeys" hotkey in order to access in-application bindings that they're masking.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
          Good article, I'm just a bit worried about the status of KDE when a "we have a new shortcut for something" is a noteworthy functionality for a 20+yo desktop.
          Hehe, this statement pretty much summarizes the issue with both Gnome and KDE. Every ~5 years they chuck all their hard work away and start from scratch. So having to re-implement a shortcut keeps cropping up as news.

An absolute joke basically. I don't know why you guys put up with it quite frankly.

Comment

Heh well, considering the dozens of new features & bug fixes stated by Nate every week, it's obviously the author's choice the emphasize this one -- which is just a default shortcut while it was already possible to define one or start the terminal by many other ways (yakuake ; start menu ; krunner ; icon, custom shortcut...). But good defaults are very important, I agree.

Recently KDE has been more about making existing features work wonderfully instead of adding too many of them -- but it still has tons of advanced ones. There were many half-baked features in the 4.x days, but the development model seems saner now (ex. : the semantic desktop, the tiling window manager, the tabbed windows, just to name a few). There is still work to be done IMHO in some areas (Baloo - only usable with an SSD IMHO - , kio <-> fuse, Dolphin's search tool, the "Nvidia situation"), but it's been making strides lately & makes me very positive about the future !

Checking the changelogs of every major version of plasma, framework and apps every 4 months gives a better overview of the scope of the development
            It's not because there are tiny changes every now & then that Plasma doesn't still get great new features regularly. You know, priorities, manpower, etc.

Time to support the usability & productivity initiative https://www.patreon.com/ngraham/overview
            Last edited by torturedutopian; 01 July 2018, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
              I wish they'd bind all of this stuff to Win+Something. More often than I'd like, I wind up having to either remap bindings or take advantage of the "toggle global hotkeys" hotkey in order to access in-application bindings that they're masking.
              Other DEs use the Ctrl+Alt+T shortcut to open a terminal emulator. So they are abiding to make a default on Linux desktops.

Comment

The ability to change shortcuts is a big asset of KDE. On Windows, there are system shortcuts that you cannot change. Last time I tried using Ubuntu with Unity, it allowed modifying the default shortcuts, but in practice it didn't work. Don't know if is fixed by now.

One of the first things I do after installing KDE from zero, is to make shotcuts from Super (meta, winkey)+ some letter, to open most used programs. More practical than using Ctrl+Alt, unless you are using some non-Windows based platform.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Other DEs use the Ctrl+Alt+T shortcut to open a terminal emulator. So they are abiding to make a default on Linux desktops.
                  Many WMs I tried had WIN+RETURN as default shortcut which I became accustomed to. In general awesome-wm showed me that shortcuts using WIN rather than (combinations of) CTRL, ALT, SHIFT are easier to use and don't conflict with application shortcuts. That's why I reconfigured "move window to desktop" to use WIN+SHIFT+# (WIN+# switches to that desktop) - unfortunately those shortcuts stopped working with the upgrade to plasma-5.13 for "move to desktop 2" and "move to desktop 3". For desktop 1 and 4 they work...

Comment

I've been using start+T to run a terminal for 10 years, regardless of which environment I was in. I use terminals often enough that a keyboard shortcut was worth adding.

Comment

Working...
                    X