Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Finally Offers An Easy Global Shortcut To Launch The Konsole

Phoronix: KDE Finally Offers An Easy Global Shortcut To Launch The Konsole

KDE finally has an on-by-default easy way global shortcut for launching the Konsole terminal application...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...aunch-Shortcut

Didn't know about those shortkeys. Good to know!

Comment

Good article, I'm just a bit worried about the status of KDE when a "we have a new shortcut for something" is a noteworthy functionality for a 20+yo desktop.

Comment

I wish they'd bind all of this stuff to Win+Something. More often than I'd like, I wind up having to either remap bindings or take advantage of the "toggle global hotkeys" hotkey in order to access in-application bindings that they're masking.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
          Good article, I'm just a bit worried about the status of KDE when a "we have a new shortcut for something" is a noteworthy functionality for a 20+yo desktop.
          Hehe, this statement pretty much summarizes the issue with both Gnome and KDE. Every ~5 years they chuck all their hard work away and start from scratch. So having to re-implement a shortcut keeps cropping up as news.

An absolute joke basically. I don't know why you guys put up with it quite frankly.

Comment

Heh well, considering the dozens of new features & bug fixes stated by Nate every week, it's obviously the author's choice the emphasize this one -- which is just a default shortcut while it was already possible to define one or start the terminal by many other ways (yakuake ; start menu ; krunner ; icon, custom shortcut...). But good defaults are very important, I agree.

Recently KDE has been more about making existing features work wonderfully instead of adding too many of them -- but it still has tons of advanced ones. There were many half-baked features in the 4.x days, but the development model seems saner now (ex. : the semantic desktop, the tiling window manager, the tabbed windows, just to name a few). There is still work to be done IMHO in some areas (Baloo - only usable with an SSD IMHO - , kio <-> fuse, Dolphin's search tool, the "Nvidia situation"), but it's been making strides lately & makes me very positive about the future !

Checking the changelogs of every major version of plasma, framework and apps every 4 months gives a better overview of the scope of the development
            It's not because there are tiny changes every now & then that Plasma doesn't still get great new features regularly. You know, priorities, manpower, etc.

Time to support the usability & productivity initiative https://www.patreon.com/ngraham/overview
            Last edited by torturedutopian; 07-01-2018, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
              I wish they'd bind all of this stuff to Win+Something. More often than I'd like, I wind up having to either remap bindings or take advantage of the "toggle global hotkeys" hotkey in order to access in-application bindings that they're masking.
              Other DEs use the Ctrl+Alt+T shortcut to open a terminal emulator. So they are abiding to make a default on Linux desktops.

Comment

The ability to change shortcuts is a big asset of KDE. On Windows, there are system shortcuts that you cannot change. Last time I tried using Ubuntu with Unity, it allowed modifying the default shortcuts, but in practice it didn't work. Don't know if is fixed by now.

One of the first things I do after installing KDE from zero, is to make shotcuts from Super (meta, winkey)+ some letter, to open most used programs. More practical than using Ctrl+Alt, unless you are using some non-Windows based platform.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

Other DEs use the Ctrl+Alt+T shortcut to open a terminal emulator. So they are abiding to make a default on Linux desktops.
                  Many WMs I tried had WIN+RETURN as default shortcut which I became accustomed to. In general awesome-wm showed me that shortcuts using WIN rather than (combinations of) CTRL, ALT, SHIFT are easier to use and don't conflict with application shortcuts. That's why I reconfigured "move window to desktop" to use WIN+SHIFT+# (WIN+# switches to that desktop) - unfortunately those shortcuts stopped working with the upgrade to plasma-5.13 for "move to desktop 2" and "move to desktop 3". For desktop 1 and 4 they work...

Comment

I've been using start+T to run a terminal for 10 years, regardless of which environment I was in. I use terminals often enough that a keyboard shortcut was worth adding.

Comment

Working...
                    X