No announcement yet.

GNOME Will No Longer Crash If Attaching A Monitor While The System Is Suspended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Will No Longer Crash If Attaching A Monitor While The System Is Suspended

Phoronix: GNOME Will No Longer Crash If Attaching A Monitor While The System Is Suspended

On GNOME 3.26~3.28, if attaching a monitor to the system while suspended -- such as when setting up for a presentation with a laptop and projector/monitor -- when resuming the system, GNOME Shell would likely crash. That rather glaring bug has now been fixed in the newest Mutter code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why is an unimportant bugfix worthy of an article? Oh right, GNOME favoritism, I forgot it's "special".

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
      Why is an unimportant bugfix worthy of an article? Oh right, GNOME favoritism, I forgot it's "special".
      One can also look at this from another perspective. It's getting publicity to mock it for allowing a simple situation to crash the entire GNOME Shell

Comment

Unimportant? Go present to a large audience and then watch your silly face as your desktop crashes after attaching a projector.

Comment

Yeah, randomly crashing when you plug monitors is a perfectly normal thing to do for DEs on Linux, I don't see why one of such bugs would get attention at all.

/sarcasm

Comment

I would hope they're backporting this to 3.28... Having to wait for Fedora 29 or Centos 7.6 for a usability bug is a real PITA.

Comment

Originally posted by mbello View Post
              Unimportant? Go present to a large audience and then watch your silly face as your desktop crashes after attaching a projector.
              Yes very unimportant, considering someone who uses GNOME deserves that kind of behavior from his computer. It's on the list of features.

I mean why would you pick such a shitty DE for stability or performance? Clearly, it's their feature to suck.

Comment

Yes very unimportant, considering someone who uses GNOME deserves that kind of behavior from his computer. It's on the list of features.

I mean why would you pick such a shitty DE for stability or performance? Clearly, it's their feature to suck.
                If I could get a list of the windows showing most often on my netbook, DrKonqui would win the pole position by far. Last time whatever GNOME component crashed on me was around 2012 (Nautilus, on Ubuntu).

Comment

No they don't. GNOME removes choice and enforces its developer's view on the users, but crashing like that or wasting RAM is not on the list of features.

Comment

Christ, its not like these devs are motivated by money and a central brain CEO who makes all the decisions.

There is no collective of evil laughing as it changes features on users.

Devs simply have bad ideas and get away with shipping their bad ideas. They have their reasons, some of which are idealisms.

Idealism and stupidity are dangerous. Dont underestimate their fuckery.

Comment

Working...
                    X