No announcement yet.

GNOME Will No Longer Crash If Attaching A Monitor While The System Is Suspended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What??? Gnome taking a break from removing functionality to fix a glaring bug!?

Did they eat anything bad? What is going on? I'm confused...

Comment

GNOME becomes a running gag

Comment

That's one small step for humanity, one giant leap for GNOME. /s

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          Christ, its not like these devs are motivated by money and a central brain CEO who makes all the decisions.

There is no collective of evil laughing as it changes features on users.

Devs simply have bad ideas and get away with shipping their bad ideas. They have their reasons, some of which are idealisms.

Idealism and stupidity are dangerous. Dont underestimate their fuckery.
          Well, to be fair people usually have issues with Gnome UX itself. There are usually separate people from devs responsible of UX. I don't know if this is the case with Gnome

Comment

Oh the sarcasm of seeing little KDE fanboys point the finger and laugh at Gnome's silliness, when a certain Desktop Environment did a lot worse than that.

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
              Oh the sarcasm of seeing little KDE fanboys point the finger and laugh at Gnome's silliness, when a certain Desktop Environment did a lot worse than that.
              There are fewer apologists in that thread than expected, but those who are there are pretty awful. One guy basically claimed "testing wouldn't have caught it".

Fuzzing is a form of testing. Fuzzing could have caught that.

But let's not discuss KDE's poor testing here. Let's discuss Gnome's poor testing here.

Gnome devs should consider adding "plugging/unplugging any/all common external devices while system is awake, asleep, or hibernating" as a thing to do once every year or so. Should catch stuff like this in the future.

Comment

Thanks GNOME, what if I want my DE to crash when I plug in another monitor. GNOME dev's not listening to users and removing features...

Comment

Originally posted by mbello View Post
                  Unimportant? Go present to a large audience and then watch your silly face as your desktop crashes after attaching a projector.
                  Let me make it worse for you: power the laptop on, someone notice you are not using Windows or MacOS. So you are asked why. You give the standard answer and moments later, boon, it crashes. And suddenly people are looking at you trying to hide a smile.

Comment

You know why Windows is unlikely to crash under the same circumstances? Their boss is yelling at the developers to make sure it wont happen again:

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                      Christ, its not like these devs are motivated by money and a central brain CEO who makes all the decisions.
                      What is Red Hat?

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      No they don't. GNOME removes choice and enforces its developer's view on the users, but crashing like that or wasting RAM is not on the list of features.
                      I mean... if this is an important bug, and it hasn't been fixed for a year, then that kinda proves it sucks. :P

If it's not an important bug... well... you know...

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
                      Ah yea another one of those who thinks KDE and GNOME are the only DEs in existence.

Comment

Working...
                      X