Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 61 Releasing Today With Performance Improvements, Accessibility Inspector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 61 Releasing Today With Performance Improvements, Accessibility Inspector

Phoronix: Firefox 61 Releasing Today With Performance Improvements, Accessibility Inspector

Mozilla is on schedule with releasing Firefox 61.0 today and can already be found via their FTP mirrors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Things I would like to see in Firefox:

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Add to that hardware accelerated rendering by default on Linux and hardware video decoding.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post
        Add to that hardware accelerated rendering by default on Linux and hardware video decoding.
        I can get behind most of these pretty strongly, but I am leaning pretty strongly away from CSDs. For floating (and IMO really only floating) WMs, they save space and can look nice, but they seem like a horrendous abstraction after any small amount of serious thought. If X and/or Wayland need protocol extensions for application windows to get more control of how WM/compositor decorations render, so be it, but not giving the broader environment primacy in managing windows opens up a lot of issues around application reliability and trustworthiness.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff99 View Post

I can get behind most of these pretty strongly, but I am leaning pretty strongly away from CSDs. For floating (and IMO really only floating) WMs, they save space and can look nice, but they seem like a horrendous abstraction after any small amount of serious thought. If X and/or Wayland need protocol extensions for application windows to get more control of how WM/compositor decorations render, so be it, but not giving the broader environment primacy in managing windows opens up a lot of issues around application reliability and trustworthiness.
          It'd be nice if there was a way to adapt or something.

a) Have an app adapt to the environment it's on, i.e. if the environment is CSD then the app will use CSD, if not then not.
          b) If a) is not possible, then a DE or WM option for enabling/disabling CSD's would be nice.

I'm not against CSD's, but this would make people who do dislike 'em a lot happier, I think.

Comment

And still no full replacement for the old NoScript. Does anyone know an extension with comparable functionality as NoScript 5's ABE?

Comment

I gave Firefox a wide birth for a long time as it always seemed so slow compared to Opera etc. But its great on speed now. My only problem with it is that i use the search box quite a lot but there is no quick way to delete its contents if you open another tab. With vivaldi, you get a little "x" appear in the search box as soon as you type something that you can press to delete the contents of the box. is there way to do this in firefox, its a pain to open tab, highlight the search text and delete or overtype everytime. I'd actually prefer it to clear the box itself when opening a new tab

Comment

I gave Firefox a wide birth for a long time as it always seemed so slow compared to Opera etc. But its great on speed now. My only problem with it is that i use the search box quite a lot but there is no quick way to delete its contents if you open another tab. With vivaldi, you get a little "x" appear in the search box as soon as you type something that you can press to delete the contents of the box. is there way to do this in firefox, its a pain to open tab, highlight the search text and delete or overtype everytime. I'd actually prefer it to clear the box itself when opening a new tab
                ctrl+k selects content of the search box, so you can do that and then just type the new thing.

Comment

All the big blockers are gone from wayland i think. I hope that by 63 we'll be ready to go.

Comment

Is there any browser that can be configured to always open links in a new tab? That's my wishlist.

Make everything opposite in this regard: Left-click for new tab, middle click for same tab, and the right-click menu should have an option to open in the same tab.
                    Last edited by andreano; 30 June 2018, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X