App Launching From GNOME Shell Now More Robust Under Memory Pressure & Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by treba View Post
    This sounds great, I'm quite exited for the performance optimizations coming with gnome 3.30! Considering my primary use-case is gnome-shell with firefox, the fact that both of them currently make big advancements has already had a great effect on my personal desktop experience.
    Thanks to Canonical ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      One thing is having a DE that strives to be light on resources, and another is having a DE that has memory leaks or is handling RAM poorly.

I personally don't think GNOME can aim at the "low resources DE" category due to how it is made (and what its priorities are), but this is mostly a case of fixing bugs, it's not large usage of RAM because of its design.

I mean the difference between bugs in the code and problems at the design level.
      I don't think GNOME needs to aim at the "low resources DE" anyway. Its main competitor is Plasma. And while I love Plasma and they've made lots of improvements, you can't really deny that Plasma is not as lightweight as Budgie, Mate, TDE, Xfce and the like and that's not what Plasma is trying to achieve either. So GNOME should keep aiming at the category Plasma is aiming at.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Thanks to Canonical ;-)
        What! You mean to say that Canonical is contributing to an open source project that they didn't create as a function of NIH that only they contribute to? Wow! this really is amazing! Thanks Canonical. It's about time.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
          My son's hand-me-down laptop - from about 10 years ago, with 8GB of RAM - runs Gnome and does so smoothly and without issue. He suspends the OS when not in use, so he typically has a browser with 20+ tabs open, steam client, BOINC client, and a handful of other things running. I wonder how other people manage to get into these situations with high RAM usage, poor performance, etc. My bet is that they don't.
          Here he comes, the GNOME apologist and his anecdotes that contradict everyone else's experience with The Brick.

Because, obviously, GNOME has no memory leaks or bugs. GNOME is perfect. If you have a problem with GNOME, you're the problem.

GNOME is a brick. Shove it.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

Here he comes, the GNOME apologist and his anecdotes that contradict everyone else's experience with The Brick.

Because, obviously, GNOME has no memory leaks or bugs. GNOME is perfect. If you have a problem with GNOME, you're the problem.

GNOME is a brick. Shove it.
            People without problems rarely complain. I run Fedora 28 and Gnome with Wayland on my work laptop. It works fine. I also run Firefox and with lots of tabs it rarely exceeds even 500 MB. And I run Pulseaudio and I can cleanly use headphones from the laptop, headphones from my Thunderbolt Dell dock, HDMI audio from the monitor, Bluetooth audio. It all works very well.

And yet lots of people complain about these things. I don't know why it doesn't work for them. It seems to me a lot of the complainers insist on running old Linux distributions that intentionally don't work with new stuff. Like Debian / Devuan.

Comment

I wonder why people need to open so many Tabs on Firefox or Chrome...

...shoudln't you be finished after clicking around 1-2 Tabs ?

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                Finally, however this should have been there from the start.

Maybe. I have 12GB and it works but it is obvious that it's constrained. 8GB would probably work pretty bad when you start a few programs thst will have to battle gnome-shell for the available RAM.
                I have a Macbook Pro from 2008, it's got 8GB of RAM and a Core 2 Duo. It's more constrained by the processor and the graphics chips (Nvidia 9400M and 9600M GT) than by RAM, even in Gnome Shell. Open Firefox, go to Netflix, watch the poor thing heat up.

Are you absolutely sure it's Gnome Shell+RAM causing your problems, or are there other variables you aren't accounting for?

Comment

Originally posted by Niarbeht View Post

I have a Macbook Pro from 2008, it's got 8GB of RAM and a Core 2 Duo. It's more constrained by the processor and the graphics chips (Nvidia 9400M and 9600M GT) than by RAM, even in Gnome Shell. Open Firefox, go to Netflix, watch the poor thing heat up.

Are you absolutely sure it's Gnome Shell+RAM causing your problems, or are there other variables you aren't accounting for?
                  Yes. It's snappy in Unity and was snappy in both Mate and KDE when I tried them during the spring. And the problems I have is specifically with the Gnome UI. Open activities takes time and the animation lags severely, plugging and unplugging a monitor takes time with the system waiting for reads and writes to the cache partition.

That you computer runs hot on Netflix is probably because of lack of hardware acceleration for whatever codec Netflix is serving you. But even that machine should still be snappy in the UI. I bet that it is if you boot into OSX and I wouldn't even be surprised if even WIndows 10 runs good on that with Windows Defender disabled.
                  It is so sad that Linux have gone from being the best bet if you want a quick and nice experience to the worst. Sure are there other DEs to choose from but non of them is developed in nearly the same pace as Gnome and doesn't provide as good integrations with Network Manager, Pulse Audio, Wayland and other technologies expected in a modern OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post

Yes. It's snappy in Unity and was snappy in both Mate and KDE when I tried them during the spring. And the problems I have is specifically with the Gnome UI. Open activities takes time and the animation lags severely, plugging and unplugging a monitor takes time with the system waiting for reads and writes to the cache partition.

That you computer runs hot on Netflix is probably because of lack of hardware acceleration for whatever codec Netflix is serving you. But even that machine should still be snappy in the UI. I bet that it is if you boot into OSX and I wouldn't even be surprised if even WIndows 10 runs good on that with Windows Defender disabled.
                    It is so sad that Linux have gone from being the best bet if you want a quick and nice experience to the worst. Sure are there other DEs to choose from but non of them is developed in nearly the same pace as Gnome and doesn't provide as good integrations with Network Manager, Pulse Audio, Wayland and other technologies expected in a modern OS.
                    You're missing my point. It heating up in Netflix is about the worst load it can undergo. Aside from that, it's fine, it's fairly snappy, and it works well. Again, are you sure about what your problems are?

Comment

Working...
                    X