Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Krita 4.1 Digital Painting Program Enters Beta With Multi-Monitor Workspace Layouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krita 4.1 Digital Painting Program Enters Beta With Multi-Monitor Workspace Layouts

Phoronix: Krita 4.1 Digital Painting Program Enters Beta With Multi-Monitor Workspace Layouts

The KDE/Qt-aligned Krita digital painting program has published the first beta of their next feature release, Krita 4.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The KDE/Qt-aligned Krita digital painting program
    What? Krita is a KDE program, not just "aligned".

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

What? Krita is a KDE program, not just "aligned".
      Krita is not part of KDE, so technically it's not a KDE program but a program for KDE, hence the "aligned".

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Krita is not part of KDE, so technically it's not a KDE program but a program for KDE, hence the "aligned".
        Sure it is. It depends on KDE to run, it uses the KDE's phabricator and git hosting for development, it uses KDE's bugtracker, and so on. It isn't part of the KDE applications release, but then again neither is Plasma. But it is definitely part of KDE.

Comment

My take is that KDE used to be a Desktop Shell. Now it is a umbrella and Plasma is that shell.

In the old context Krita is 100% not dependent on the KDE Desktop Environment.

The K in Krita is irellivent, there is no "KDE" K style naming going on. Krita literally means Crayon.

Obviously Krita used to be part of the KDE Calligra Office Suite effort, therefore it has a KDE history.

These days it has been seperated from Calligra and is Steered and funded by The Krita Foundation.

If KDE were to stop existing it would have minimal impact on Krita, their legacy dependence is fairly minimal now.

Krita launching their own Gitlab would be trivial to not use the KDE git or bug tracker, however what's the point -- it's like saying X-Company DEPENDS on GitHub.

The reality is that X-Company USES GitHub.

Krita doesn't DEPEND on KDE, Krita USES KDE infrastructure.
          Last edited by ElectricPrism; 21 June 2018, 01:36 PM.

Comment

I'm the Krita maintainer, and have been the Krita maintainer since 2004, have been a KDE developer since 2003, and I will tell you this:

Krita is a KDE project. Our project is part of the KDE community. We use KDE frameworks. We work with the KDE translator community. Our builds are done on KDE's CI infrastructure. We use KDE's bugzilla, KDE's phabricator, KDE's mirroring network. krita.org is owned and hosted by KDE e.V. And we're proud of that: KDE is an awesome community full of great people who are doing amazing things with astonishingly few resources.

I know other people see these things in a different way: I remember a discussion with Pippin years ago where he was adamant that GIMP isn't a Gnome project, despite its money being handled by the Gnome Foundation and its bug in bugzilla.gnome.org -- GIMP didn't link to libgnome, so it wasn't a Gnome project. And that's fine, every project defines for itself what it is.

Krita is a KDE project.

(Note: the terms "program aligned with" or "kde program" are noises without a meaning. A program doesn't have an affiliation, a project does.)

Comment

Hello boudewijnrempt,

back to the article, Krita 4.1 (beta).
              Cool progress.
              Thank you all (KDE)!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post

Sure it is. It depends on KDE to run
                If it requires KDE to run, then KDE sure runs damn fine on Windows and macOS, i.e. all of the platforms Krita is ported to.
                Last edited by Vistaus; 22 June 2018, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

If it requires KDE to run, then KDE sure runs damn fine on Windows and macOS, i.e. all of the platforms Krita is ported to.
                  Yeah, well, Krita depends on a number of KDE Tier 1 Frameworks, i.e., useful standalone libraries for handling things like settings, translations, zip file handling. It doesn't require any tier 2 or tier 3 framework library, and, of course, doesn't require any of the plasma desktop components. But in this day and age, saying "depends on KDE" doesn't really convey much meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by boudewijnrempt View Post

Yeah, well, Krita depends on a number of KDE Tier 1 Frameworks, i.e., useful standalone libraries for handling things like settings, translations, zip file handling. It doesn't require any tier 2 or tier 3 framework library, and, of course, doesn't require any of the plasma desktop components. But in this day and age, saying "depends on KDE" doesn't really convey much meaning.
                    Thanks, that's what I'm talking about. "needs KDE to run" means that it needs so much KDE stuff that you get the whole desktop along with it, but that's clearly not the case here, esp. since Krita runs on Windows and macOS too.

Comment

Working...
                    X