Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elisa 0.2 Beta Released For This Newest KDE Music Player

Phoronix: Elisa 0.2 Beta Released For This Newest KDE Music Player

KDE's Elisa music player is just over one year old and with a few months having passed since the Elisa 0.1 inaugural release, succeeding that today is the beta for the upcoming Elisa 0.2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm, it'll take a little time till I drop Clementine (awesome, but no more releases), but I'm sure we'll get there eventually :-) Great work !

Comment

Also babe fits into the same category...?

What happened to run to simple times of winamp? This is just over engineered, and there are 3 of them.

Comment

Sometimes people may complain there are hundreds of music players but I don't think this hurts us.
        If under Windows you always ran Winamp rather than something which indexes all your music etc., you can do likewise in Linux. Audacious and deadbeef are good ones (the former has had Windows builds since version 3.6 using Qt, too).

Some people use VLC which I don't particularly like for the task but will do the basic job if that's all that is installed.

Comment

Originally posted by misp View Post
          Also babe fits into the same category...?

What happened to run to simple times of winamp? This is just over engineered, and there are 3 of them.
          Well, music collections got a lot bigger, internet is unbelievable faster, there is a lot more processing power available, so some people migrated for more resourceful players.

But if you prefer a more Winamp like, straightforward player, there is always Audacious for GTK and Qmmp for Qt are available and well maintained today.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Well, music collections got a lot bigger, internet is unbelievable faster, there is a lot more processing power available, so some people migrated for more resourceful players.

But if you prefer a more Winamp like, straightforward player, there is always Audacious for GTK and Qmmp for Qt are available and well maintained today.
            if you didn't know Audacious did move Qt5, it's not officially stable yet so until then they will maintain the gtk2/gtk3 version...so the gtk versions may be dropped in the future, when the Qt version is mature enough.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Fair enough.
              But why that many players? Kde need improvements elsewhere, but somehow it seems that everybody wants to make their own player. I didn't know that there are som many under kde umbrella

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by misp View Post

Fair enough.
                But why that many players? Kde need improvements elsewhere, but somehow it seems that everybody wants to make their own player. I didn't know that there are som many under kde umbrella

Mostly, these are hobbyist projects. People code then on free time to amuse themselves. They may do not like the way a previous player work and think they can do better, so a new player is born. So, more than often, people got sick of the project for various reasons and abandon them. Sometimes, a abandoned player manage to find new developers, like Amarok now.

As the reason KDE have so many audio players, I imagine that is fairly easy to build one using Qt and KDE resources, that may explain the existence of so many projects.

Comment

I guess gapless playing is not on the features list? Will stick with audiacious then...

Comment

Working...
                  X