GNOME 3.29.3 Released As The Latest Step Towards GNOME 3.30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leech View Post
    But there was an extension to add them back.
    This extension was just a proof of concept and far away from production ready. Five months without any improvements so I assume it is dead by now...

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post

This extension was just a proof of concept and far away from production ready. Five months without any improvements so I assume it is dead by now...
      I hope Canonical will develop similar extension or maybe Red Hat (after they achieve GNOME 3.28).

Now I recommend using nemo-desktop. It is recommended on Nautilus Gitlab too. It's lightweight (on my machine taking ~24MB RAM and unnoticeable usage of CPU) and works pretty good. At least on XOrg I don't know how it's work on Wayland.
      Last edited by dragon321; 21 June 2018, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post

You know there's a fix for that, right? I personally loathe desktop icons, but I know that's just my opinion. But there was an extension to add them back. Just like there's an extension to re-enable the system tray for programs that still use it.
        It's not true. This famous extension is so self-cooked that it's completely useless. It was the first thing I tried

Comment

Originally posted by MartinPL View Post
          Test it: you'll see it's completely useless

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            I would like to see gnome-extension-tool generate ES6 classes.
            I would like to see GtkSourceView support syntax highlighting for TypeScript, .cshtml, and JSX.

I do use icons on the desktop and always have been.
            But was this ever really a good idea?
            Or does it just lead to random stuff on the desktop instead of being properly sorted in the Documents, Videos, Pictures and Music folders?
            Let user decide with an minimally userful extension, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

Why put icons on desktop?

If you really want they use Nemo-desktop. It works pretty good. At least on XOrg session.
              Why having a physical desktop if you can't put on it your keys, books, papers and random stuff because someone else obligates you to keep them inside drawers?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post

The most inconvenient feature ever existed.
                You're trolling

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

That could make up a nice meme every time Gnome removes yet another feature:
                  "Don't worry, there is an extension to add it back"
                  Yeah, something along the lines of:

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post

Why having a physical desktop if you can't put on it your keys, books, papers and random stuff because someone else obligates you to keep them inside drawers?
                    That's like asking "Why have a front yard if you can't put your chairs, closets, stove, kitchen cabinets and random stuff on it because they actually belong there rather than inside the house?"

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post

You're trolling
                      Not at all.
                      First they hide the beautiful wallpaper,
                      second you need to aim on them with the cursor and if you are a keyboard guy this needs skill,
                      third a lot of them always create a mess
                      and fourth and most important they stay behind the windows and you need to move or minimize the windows to find them. More movements for basic things mean less productivity.
                      Even in Gnome shell I don't find the dock panel very useful. That's why when I see osx with all these icons on the bottom I almost vomit...

Last edited by Apopas; 21 June 2018, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X