Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.11.1 Released With 150+ Bug Fixes

Phoronix: Qt 5.11.1 Released With 150+ Bug Fixes

Qt 5.11 was released just under one month ago while debuting today is the first point release with over 150 bug fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's an unsettling amount of bugfixes in such a short timeframe, especially for a toolkit. Qt 5 should be too mature at this point to have that many problems. I really like using Qt, but I'm beginning to question how good their devs are.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      That's an unsettling amount of bugfixes in such a short timeframe, especially for a toolkit. Qt 5 should be too mature at this point to have that many problems. I really like using Qt, but I'm beginning to question how good their devs are.
      I was about to say that sarcastically.

Qt is huge, bugs will fall through the review process no matter how skilled the devs are. They're simply human.
      If i remember correctly even GStreamer has ~100 bug fixes on their first point releases and that project is significantly smaller (but still pretty large).

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
        Qt is huge, bugs will fall through the review process no matter how skilled the devs are. They're simply human.
        Again, Qt 5 is (or should be at this point, anyway) pretty mature. It's been available for 6 years, and new features aren't popping up as much. Too much software depends on it for devs to not be double-checking their work. Like you said, they're simply human, so mistakes are inevitable. I'm not expecting perfection, but to me, having over 150 bugs fixed sounds like a side effect of negligence, rather than just honest mistakes.

I just checked the bug tracker for every open bug in Qt, and there are over 11,000. Meanwhile GTK has fewer than 1000 open bugs. I'm sure GTK3 is a smaller project, but I don't think it is over 11x smaller. As for Gstreamer, it is a smaller project (with a smaller and presumably under-funded dev team) but I would argue it is also more complex; they have around 2000 open bugs. That doesn't sound too unreasonable to me.

It should also be pointed out that (to my knowledge), Qt 5 carried over a lot of code from Qt 4. Qt 4 was released in 2005, and yet modern Qt still still has this hefty pile of problems?

Anyway, I like that they're making progress, but I hope they try being more careful about their code.
        Last edited by schmidtbag; 19 June 2018, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I'm not expecting perfection, but to me, having over 150 bugs fixed sounds like a side effect of negligence, rather than just honest mistakes.
          I quite frankly can't trust random opinions of random people like that.

You either do some math from number of loc and statistics of bugs per loc or I think you will get a lot of "well, that's like your opinion" answers.

For example, Qt is used much more (especially by paid customers in embedded) than gtk, and it can do much more, it has its own weston compositor library and so on.
          Last edited by starshipeleven; 19 June 2018, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I am waiting already about 3 months with my two opened bug reports. I guess, they are very busy. They can either do more bug fixing and less feature development (including Vulkan support), or less fixing and more features. Whatever way, they are making compromise. If somebody is not happy with them: (1) buy a license and support them by money or (2) join their developer team to speed up the things. I will be only happy if you do :-) .

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              I quite frankly can't trust random opinions of random people like that.
              That's fine - you don't have to. I'm aware I could be wrong in my thoughts, but based on the data available to me, I feel my opinion has some weight to it. And on that note, you don't have to agree with that, either.
              For example, Qt is used much more (especially by paid customers in embedded) than gtk, and it can do much more, it has its own weston compositor library and so on.
              The fact that it has paid developers only strengthens my point - they should be more on-top of their bugs.
              And yes, Qt does do a lot more, but number of bugs isn't inherently proportionate to number of features. Like I said before, I don't think GTK is 11x smaller than Qt (but, I'm not sure how to prove that, either).
              Also to my knowledge, GTK also works with Weston. I'm not sure if it has a Weston-specific library, but apparently it doesn't need one.

I would like to clarify: I actually strongly prefer to use Qt over GTK. I think Qt is great. Really my only point is I'm not comfortable with the amount of known bugs they have.

Comment

It's been available for 6 years, and new features aren't popping up as much.
                From what I've read, Qt is still adding plenty of new features. Just reading through what is in 5.11 https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-5.11-Released seems like 150 bugs is completely reasonable. If anything, I'd argue that I would hope that the bug fix count would be higher, because I'm sure that there were more bugs than just those introduced.

I just checked the bug tracker for every open bug in Qt, and there are over 11,000. Meanwhile GTK has fewer than 1000 open bugs. I'm sure GTK3 is a smaller project, but I don't think it is over 11x smaller. As for Gstreamer, it is a smaller project (with a smaller and presumably under-funded dev team) but I would argue it is also more complex; they have around 2000 open bugs. That doesn't sound too unreasonable to me.
                Looking at the number of open bugs is really not a great way to know how many bugs actually exist in a software code base. Projects triage and maintain their bug tracking in completely different ways, not to mention that some projects have more people using their code in vastly different ways, so more edge cases are hit. In my experience, projects with little traffic have very few open bugs, and lots of actually buggy code.

Comment

Is every open bug really a bug though? 'Cause if I file a bug with a future idea, you can't really consider that a bug since it's just an idea thread, really. Also, not sure about Qt but some projects tend to leave deprecated bugs open, even if it might be fixed in a newer version, because they can't keep track of all multi-year old bug reports all of the time. So how many of those open bugs really are bugs?

Comment

Originally posted by stupotace View Post
                    If anything, I'd argue that I would hope that the bug fix count would be higher, because I'm sure that there were more bugs than just those introduced.
                    Considering the amount of existing bugs, I completely agree.

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    Is every open bug really a bug though? 'Cause if I file a bug with a future idea, you can't really consider that a bug since it's just an idea thread, really. Also, not sure about Qt but some projects tend to leave deprecated bugs open, even if it might be fixed in a newer version, because they can't keep track of all multi-year old bug reports all of the time. So how many of those open bugs really are bugs?
                    That's a good point, and something I wondered myself. I didn't look that deep into it. I do wonder how many actual bugs there are.

Comment

Working...
                    X