Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice Picks Up A Native "KDE 5" File Picker

Phoronix: LibreOffice Picks Up A Native "KDE 5" File Picker

Several months back LibreOffice developers began working on better integration with KDE Plasma 5 and that has advanced again today with now having a native file picker...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

2019 is too far away. With GTK3 file picker i often click through several folders instead of 1, with KDE file picker i have no such issues. I'm not even talking about other downsides but the main one makes GTK3 file picker break on action otherwise you'll click through way too many times and may even rewrite some file unintentionally.
    So i really hope they will backport it.
    Last edited by sunweb; 18 June 2018, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Does this support KIO? If yes, I very much hope this gets back ported. Proper Plasma/SMB integration amongst apps is one of the larger problems challenging Plasma's adoption in the business world (at the very least my small corner of it).

Comment

Originally posted by Numeric View Post
        Proper Plasma/SMB integration amongst apps is one of the larger problems challenging Plasma's adoption in the business world (at the very least my small corner of it).
        Is editing of files in an SMB share even possible with KIO? I wonder because when opening a file, it gets copied to a local working folder first (that sucks so hard...).

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          Is editing of files in an SMB share even possible with KIO? I wonder because when opening a file, it gets copied to a local working folder first (that sucks so hard...).
          If the application supports KIO, then yes.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            Copying it to a local working folder is the fallback behaviour for applications that don't support KIO. If an application supports KIO, then it sees everything as URLs and file handles and there's no difference between files stored locally (file://), on an SMB share, on an FTP server where you have write permissions, via FISH, SSH, or SFTP, etc.

Back before I switched to "edit locally and run rsync" as my deployment method for simple, basic stuff to ensure my local copy couldn't fail to get updated, I'd make quick tweaks by clicking a Konqueror file manager bookmark for an SFTP URL, browsing to the relevant file, double-clicking to open it (in KWrite as a separate window in KDE 3, in a KatePart embedded in Konqueror in KDE 4), making my changes, and then hitting Ctrl+S and closing out of the windows.

(Though it's been allowed to languish, Konqueror is a shining example of what KDE can be capable of. The combination of KIO for abstracted IO and KParts as "ActiveX done right" allows it to be a tabbed, splittable browser/editor for pretty much anything, local or remote.)

Comment

Now if only Firefox could do the same (and respect xdg-mime by the way too)...

Comment

Originally posted by sunweb View Post
                2019 is too far away.
                You could use Calligra…

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

You could use Calligra…
                  Calligra is miles away from libreoffice, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Numeric View Post
                    Proper Plasma/SMB integration amongst apps is one of the larger problems challenging Plasma's adoption in the business world (at the very least my small corner of it).
                    Ha. Haha.
                    Hahahahahahahaha.

Yeah, that is some small corner you have there. But yeah, Plasma is about to break through into the enterprise software stack.

Comment

Working...
                    X