KDE Plasma 5.13 Ships As The Best Plasma 5 Release Yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by miabrahams View Post
    It is fairly impossible to fix in X11 in a general way. The X server can't distinguish between different monitors, it just mashes them all into a mega-screen. Your desktop manager doesn't get to access this information. Even the simple feature of pinning your task bar to the edge or bottom of a monitor is unreliable for this reason. Per-monitor DPI is the #1 Wayland feature that I'm eager for.
    Yepp, that's why I'm asking - KDE seems to be a frontrunner when it comes to leaving X11 behind and actually getting real HiDPI support working with wayland, so I'm also very eager to know of any progress in this area. Can't wait until this is not an issue anymore, currently this causes issues for me on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      Has the giant cursor on Wayland been fixed?

Much better, but still not 100% fixed.
      ## VGA ##
      AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
      Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by Avant

I wouldn't consider fedora for anything beyond gnome, unless you like dnf and other redhatware, personally don't. If you want a polished KDE distro, it's only neon/kubuntu. Both are based on ubuntu. Neon is less bloated, LTS-only and you get KDE updates faster in most cases. That's the main differences, the rest is pretty much the same with kubuntu.
        I'm using Fedora / KDE on > 30 machines.
        What exactly is wrong w/ Fedora / KDE implementation?

- Gilboa
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
        Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post

How? I thought TW gets the latest stuff right away and leap doesn't. Also, for the short one month period I ran TW, plasma updates took way longer than that to roll in--sometimes two weeks or so. I'm jealous, because I just moved to Manjaro thinking I would get updates ahead of opensuse folks, but apparently not! (Unless I enable testing...)
          I had these updates because I added the KDE repositories on Leap. However it will soon arrive also on Tumbleweed, at this moment the Tumbleweed updates are going a bit slow due to a problem, but it will arrive soon. Hello

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post

I'm using Fedora / KDE on > 30 machines.
            What exactly is wrong w/ Fedora / KDE implementation?

- Gilboa
            9 Months and then you start the upgrade process? I used to love Fedora - nicely polished and smooth animiations but the 9 month window killed me.

Comment

Originally posted by dfyt View Post

9 Months and then you start the upgrade process? I used to love Fedora - nicely polished and smooth animiations but the 9 month window killed me.
              To be honest, we're kinda used to it.
              Once every 6-8 months, we move a couple test desktops and servers to F-latest and everything else from F-2 to F-1 (~100 machines and VMs).
              To be honest, Fedora's upgrade process is so smooth, I upgraded ~10 machines latest week to F28 in ~two hours with zero issues...

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

So the first kwin release without Martin as a maintainer and the first time since I think kde3 that kwin locked up... ssh from my laptop and kill kwin (start with --replace) and everything is back to normal. But still... I hope this won't be the direction kwin is heading now.
                Besides that I don't have the option anymore to set how to display items in the systray. It's either on or off and when on the plugin decides itself if it will show up only on activity.
                Also the kwin shortcuts settings show up as "Modul für Systemeinstellungen" and are missing therefore when entering the settings via rightclick on decoration. Also "META+SHIFT+2" (and 3) don't work anymore to move windows on desktop 2 (and 3). For 1 and 4 it works.
                Then in systemsettings. when not maximized and window size small enough that the navigation on the left won't show a second column for the subcategories, tooltips (when hovering main categories) are positioned in the middle of the window after leaving subcategories. You have to start with the unmaximized window size, resizing the window makes tooltip positioning work.

Comment

Working...
                X