No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.13 Ships As The Best Plasma 5 Release Yet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Neon has QT 5.10 & Plasma 5.13, but is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, not 18.04 LTS.

According to the Kubuntu forum, they're waiting on Ubuntu to update QT from 5.9.5 to 5.10 before making Plasma 5.13 available.

Comment

Originally posted by stingray454 View Post
      I haven't been following KDE (don't run it myself, but interested in trying). One of my main gripes with Linux (or rather X11) is the mixed DPi support, ie running a 4k and FHD display together without scaling issues, setting lower res on a monitor, fiddling with xrandr scaling and so on. I remember reading something about KDE looking to fix it in 5.11-12 but don't think they did. Does anyone know the current status of this?
      They said that display-dependent UI scaling was not possible with X11 (or rather too much work for them I guess), but apparently it is implemented for Wayland.
      Nonround scaling factors (like 1.4 instead of 1.0 or 2.0) never really worked for me, though. Haven't tried again since 5.11. Hence I go for font DPI scaling only. At least that is consistent across frameworks, Plasma-Framework, bare QT, GTK, etc.
      But that setting is always systemwide I believe. And not really usable when monitor DPI differs by more than 50%.

Comment

And it still seems to be impossible to get color calibration for wayland. Any idea when/how it will be possible?

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Does Windows store common settings for all users? I thought it kept per-user settings on most things.
          Not certain about input device settings, but certainly for display configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
            Already arrived in KDE repositories in openSUSE LEAP 15
            Also already arrived in Solus Unstable repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Yeah, I tested Wayland session with 5.12 recently and it was segfaulting early. What's the story with it? Is it a Mesa or KDE bug?
              Are you connecting over DisplayPort? And which model of GPU?

I'm writing this now in a wayland session on AMD CIK card (using amdgpu kernel module) connected over HDMI but over DP it does not start. I did recently try the staging-drm-next branch as suggested by another user but that didn't fix the issue. Now I have a little more information I can submit a bug report for this.

The Gamma settings don't appear to work on wayland but that I can live without since 'Night Colour' does.

Comment

Originally posted by torturedutopian View Post
                Hi ! Are you referring to boot time ? Are you referring to constant HDD spinning due to Baloo indexing ?
                To many things. Awfully long log in time, freezes and stutters in the UI, hanging krunner and many more. Lot's of that stuff could be avoided by replacing synchronous I/O with async one and not making UI block on every disk call.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

5.13 had bunch of work on boot time, profiling things to identify sync I/O blockers that could be handled as async instead iirc. Anything else you had in mind that should be async that isn't? Also using a good disk I/O scheduler will help, BFQ for example should make a noticeable difference as a desktop user.
                  Log in time was a huge pain so far. I didn't test 5.13 yet, waiting for Debian testing to get it. But I'm also in the process of switching to NVMe to mitigate some of that slowness, so I might not have a chance to test it. One of the examples is constantly stuck krunner which freezes on some socket waiting (SSD won't help here, it's a bug that exposes sync design). Stutters in plasmashell caused by I/O are also not uncommon.

Good to know that there is some work being done to handle I/O more asynchronously.
                  Last edited by shmerl; 06-13-2018, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post

Are you connecting over DisplayPort? And which model of GPU?
                    Yes, DisplayPort / Sapphire Pulse AMD Vega 56.

Comment

Anyone managed to get global menus to work with most apps in Neon ? Does work here with FF/TB and all KDE apps but not Libo, Clementine for instance. I haven't tweaked anything so far.

Looking forward to replicating this : https://twitter.com/NeoSiteLinux/sta...909060/photo/1

Comment

Working...
                      X