Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 3.10 Features Updated Vulkan, D3D12 Swapchain Support

Phoronix: Wine 3.10 Features Updated Vulkan, D3D12 Swapchain Support

Wine's bi-weekly release cycle for new development releases is slightly off target with it surfacing today rather than last Friday, but the changes are worthwhile...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is amazing! When all DirectX-Games will run with Vulkan on Linux the year we are all waiting for is near. But we need a translation library for Vulkan with a proprietary-friendly licence to run on the Xbox as well. And perhaps, when Sony will not join the train, also for PlayStation.

Comment

This wine version have some things related 1D textures

But performance remain similar in NFSMW 2012

Last test with Pentium G3258 @ 4.1ghz + Artic Cooling Alpine 11 Plus

And now with Core i3 8350K Tri-Core @ 5.0ghz + CoolerMaster Hyper T4

Comment

I hope the DX12->Vulkan translation layer has very little performance impact, so we can finally end up with games performing as good as on Windows (or within 10%).

Comment

Are there any experts who can help Khronos with input on stream output usage to create its counterpart in Vulkan? That will be useful for D3D12 translation as well.

So far no one answered this question.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
            I hope the DX12->Vulkan translation layer has very little performance impact, so we can finally end up with games performing as good as on Windows (or within 10%).
            As good as on Windows (in terms of FPS numbers) would mean that we need to have a significantly better Vulkan driver and that is currently impossible because it's using an unoptimized LLVM branch. So it would be nice to see this compensated by a highly optimized RADV firstly. But of course both GPU companies are also not sleeping so it is unlikely that we can compensate this.

The translation layer is yet another performance dropper. I think when it's only 10% we would be doing damn great.

But it doesn't matter anyway because people would live with a small performance hit as long as everything works immediately and the ecosystem doesn't disturb their workflow and steal their data all the time like Windows does. Making it run smoothly and enjoyable has the highest priority. Stats should always come last.
            And yes, I'm sure that it's possible to make it run and feel better, and ease the installation process although we don't get higher FPS counts.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
              As good as on Windows (in terms of FPS numbers) would mean that we need to have a significantly better Vulkan driver and that is currently impossible because it's using an unoptimized LLVM branch. So it would be nice to see this compensated by a highly optimized RADV firstly. But of course both GPU companies are also not sleeping so it is unlikely that we can compensate this.
              I was talking about the translation layer of course, I mean driver is kinda a moot point since it has nothing to do with wine.

Also, not everyone is using an AMD GPU.

Comment

The translation layer is yet another performance dropper. I think when it's only 10% we would be doing damn great.

But it doesn't matter anyway because people would live with a small performance hit as long as everything works immediately and the ecosystem doesn't disturb their workflow and steal their data all the time like Windows does. Making it run smoothly and enjoyable has the highest priority. Stats should always come last.
                And yes, I'm sure that it's possible to make it run and feel better, and ease the installation process although we don't get higher FPS counts.
                With Wine 3.9 and DXVK I still got in the area of 70% the performance compared to Windows on the same hardware. Sure it's a big hit, but it's getting manageable. The game is still fully functional, and with just minor reduction in quality settings I can run a smooth 60 fps. I'd say that we're already at the point where you don't need Windows but can enjoy gaming on linux, and any extra performance we can squeeze out of it now it just extra bonus. Sure I'm hoping to get to 90%:ish too, but I'm doubting we'll get that high. We'll see soon enough!

Comment

This is amazing! When all DirectX-Games will run with Vulkan on Linux the year we are all waiting for is near. But we need a translation library for Vulkan with a proprietary-friendly licence to run on the Xbox as well. And perhaps, when Sony will not join the train, also for PlayStation.
                  So where's the wine implementation of Glide? or the wine implementation of DirectX 5 surfaces... sorry but DirectX 12 is meaningless when a bunch of software I actually want to run remains unsupported. The latest Windows games aren't the only reason to use wine.

Comment

I have done some testing with DXVK and Windows lately, originally I thought I was getting %70-80 the performance of windows with DXVK at 3840x2160 resolution but it's more %50-70 for games like Witcher3 and Fallout4/SkyrimSE.

Getting better but not quite there yet, certainly at a %80 of windows performance level will be a marvelous day indeed for us rare 4k gamers.
                    Those with 1080-1440p setups are laughing, having their fill as most GPU's can achieve well above 60fps (a minimal for PC gaming), at 4k I'm seeing dips down to 30fps region allot which is annoying. (with a 1080ti)

Comment

Working...
                    X