Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDF Importing Improvements Head Into LibreOffice

Phoronix: PDF Importing Improvements Head Into LibreOffice

It's too late for the upcoming LibreOffice 6.1, but LibreOffice 6.2 will feature PDF importing improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this mean that text will no longer be imported as a bunch of lines? 'Cause this is a major pain in the neck!

(Not trying to be mean towards the devs here. You guys are doing an outstanding job!)

Comment

I'm glad that Collabra is doing this work, and I can see the progress that LibreOffice is making. I am actually trying to move back to it from Google Docs and... man, Google Docs is just damn convenient and powerful.

Comment

I would like to use LibreOffice again, but there are no window boarders anymore on Plasma-Wayland and the Gtk devs seem to be not interested in fixing this bug :-(

Comment

Surely a desktop suite is much more important than a fancy window manager?

Comment

Originally posted by kgonzales View Post
            I'm glad that Collabra is doing this work, and I can see the progress that LibreOffice is making. I am actually trying to move back to it from Google Docs and... man, Google Docs is just damn convenient and powerful.
            If you don't care one second about privacy, confidentiality or lock-in then yeah, I guess it is.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
              I would like to use LibreOffice again, but there are no window boarders anymore on Plasma-Wayland and the Gtk devs seem to be not interested in fixing this bug :-(
              Works just fine here. Maybe you need to enable the kwin's script Force window decorations on GTK+ windows (Comes built-in in kubuntu)

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
                Does this mean that text will no longer be imported as a bunch of lines? 'Cause this is a major pain in the neck!

(Not trying to be mean towards the devs here. You guys are doing an outstanding job!)
                Emm.. what was added a version or 2 ago was rendering of PDF as an image inside of the document using PDFium to render it. This way it retained the full fidelity of the PDF but OTOH the PDF could not be changed.

Then you have the PDF import filter that used poppler to parse the PDF document and created (mainly) a Draw document out of it where for the greater fidelity it used text boxes that can be exactly positioned in the document. In Writer it is not possible to position the text so precisely so fidelity would be lower so this was never implemented. This change also doesn't implement it either (But you can still use the hybrid mode where the original document is embedded into the PDF document if you need to change it in the future).

This change is more in line to make the PDF "as an image" better, so it now supports changing pages. This will also allow "breaking" down the PDF "image" so it will parse the PDF document (with PDFium) and create what was already done with poppler, but with better fidelity. In the future we will remove poppler and the old PDF import and use PDFium for everything (that's the idea AFAIK).

Comment

Great news! And for 6.1, would be great if for it at least the PDF background issue could be solved. As of 6.0.x, the PDF import introduces a solid white background even for PDF files that do not have any background (bug 106581). This makes it almost impossible to use PDF images in slides. A workaround is to open the PDF in inkscape and save it as emf or svg and import the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by quikee View Post

Emm.. what was added a version or 2 ago was rendering of PDF as an image inside of the document using PDFium to render it. This way it retained the full fidelity of the PDF but OTOH the PDF could not be changed.

Then you have the PDF import filter that used poppler to parse the PDF document and created (mainly) a Draw document out of it where for the greater fidelity it used text boxes that can be exactly positioned in the document. In Writer it is not possible to position the text so precisely so fidelity would be lower so this was never implemented. This change also doesn't implement it either (But you can still use the hybrid mode where the original document is embedded into the PDF document if you need to change it in the future).

This change is more in line to make the PDF "as an image" better, so it now supports changing pages. This will also allow "breaking" down the PDF "image" so it will parse the PDF document (with PDFium) and create what was already done with poppler, but with better fidelity. In the future we will remove poppler and the old PDF import and use PDFium for everything (that's the idea AFAIK).
                    Thank you for filling us in!

I actually like text to be imported as, well... Text, though. Whenever I use PDF, it's mainly to keep everything nice and clean (i.e. vectors). I can live with having to rework every piece of text to make them into a single block. It's just an added chore though.

Comment

Working...
                    X