Xfce's Thunar 1.8 FIle Manager Released With Move From GTK2 To GTK3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    Alright, miracles really do exist! Finally a post about Xfce's GTK3 port that is not littered with "OMG! I hate GTK3! Why are they doing this!!1!???" crap.
    Probably because it's not GNOME.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      Really? Is because developers are sick of users asking for it or something else?
      there is a thread here where a dev said no and then others involved in the project explained that they lack the manpower to do so https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=6192

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Nautilus changed a lot, and for anyone who can't handle change is going to have a bad day. But just because you can't handle change, that doesn't make it bad. Dolphin has only improved over the years - the only annoying thing about it is how you can't use it with root. pcmanfm in my experience functions better than Thunar while being more lightweight. Never tried caja.

I never said anything about split view, nor do I care about having it.
        On openSUSE it is still possible to open Dolphin as root !

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
          I bet there's still no option to disable the trash can, which means it's still way behind Windows 95 explorer.exe. That's more than 20 years of playing catching up.
          Umm, you mean on the desktop? There is indeed an option to remove it. Or you mean directly deleting a file? Shift+Del.

Comment

Great to see this. XFCE4 super stable and straight forward. Chou happy.
            Thunar does tabs, which is good I guess. I don't know the keyboard shortcuts but presumably if learnt would give good enough split screen, or just split screen your monitor with 2 thunar processes?
            All roads lead to tmux and vim for me so YMMV?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by danboid View Post

Strongly disagree. Dolphin has gone to shit, as has nautilus. pcmanfm trails far behind Thunar and caja. My fave Linux 'desktop' is MATE but with Thunar as the file manager.

People are bemoaning Thunar not having a split window view but it does have tabs so I don't really miss it.
              The Linux file manager with the most features is Polo and it also features split view: https://github.com/teejee2008/polo
              And if you like scripting, then Xfe is also very good because it can easily be extended with scripts. (but it uses the FOX Toolkit which needs a little theme tweaking through the FOX Control Panel if you want it to look better)

Comment

The Linux file manager with the most features is Polo and it also features split view: https://github.com/teejee2008/polo
                Personally I am big fan of Double Commander, but I guess I could try that one too

Comment

Totally unimpressive:
                  Dolphin also supports split-view (per-tab)
                  Krusader is by design split-view (mutple tabs per split)
                  Both of them supports embedding terminal (which follows currently opened directory)

And while KDE Plasma is a bit dissapointing (considering resources usage [CPU, RAM]) it's most configurable/customizable DE (I loved AweosmeWM, but rewriting configs every few releases is not fun. And you cannot achieve so easily things like Global Menu/Active Window Control, other devices/services interoperability(Android integration, Pulseaudio). It still uses INI's style config files and is generally hacker-friendly. The only downside is that it's resource hungry and it's Tiling plugin really sucks(I nearly always works with one-maximized windows - so not a big miss comparing to added benefits)

Comment

Working...
                  X