Xfce's Thunar 1.8 FIle Manager Released With Move From GTK2 To GTK3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfce's Thunar 1.8 FIle Manager Released With Move From GTK2 To GTK3

Phoronix: Xfce's Thunar 1.8 FIle Manager Released With Move From GTK2 To GTK3

Thunar 1.8 is now available as the latest stable release of the Xfce desktop's file manager...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i'm not up to date on this, how much of the other XFCE apps are on GTK3 already?

Comment

Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
      i'm not up to date on this, how much of the other XFCE apps are on GTK3 already?
      You can follow their progress here. https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.14/roadmap
      Seems like most of it has been ported, but I'm guessing 4.14 won't be hitting all that soon.

Comment

All I can say is that while the XFCE road to wayland has taken some time with the porting to gtk3, it has been a steady process. I'm running latest xfce components as they get released on archlinux and it is solid. Anyways, I'm happy with X, so far wayland doesn't offer any improvements, on the contrary, performance degrades with Xwayland and lots of bugs plague the Wayland compositors since they are so hard to implement... So all this time has given the Wayland landscape more time to mature

Comment

Thunar is OK I guess, not bad but not blowing my mind either.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
            Thunar is OK I guess, not bad but not blowing my mind either.
            I find it to be the worst of all the DE-specific file browsers. I'm not saying Thunar is bad (it's definitely better than what Windows or Mac has) but I think pcmanfm, nautilus, and dolphin are better.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              I find it to be the worst of all the DE-specific file browsers. I'm not saying Thunar is bad (it's definitely better than what Windows or Mac has) but I think pcmanfm, nautilus, and dolphin are better.

I don't know Dolphin but I will never replace Thunar for Nautilus and not even Pcmanfm, point of views...

Comment

Can I use Thunar to restore GNOME desktop icons?

Comment

Originally posted by tessio View Post
                  Can I use Thunar to restore GNOME desktop icons?
                  No. Thunar doesn't handle desktop icons, xfdesktop does. If you want desktop icons on Gnome session you can use nemo (from cinnamon project) or caja (from MATE project).

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                    pathbar, GOjbect introspection support, styling updates, and

Comment

Working...
                    X