X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by brownsr View Post
    He's a leading light in Gnome, and a prolific contributor to open-source, so it's very disappointing to see him savaged by people here.
    I don't care if 90% of the open source projects die off due to lack of contributors because most of them are bloated and crappy and there are alternatives written in proper languages like C. You know the fragmentation issue and all?

I'm personally sick of seeing projects that are similar, one written in proper language like C, one written in some obscure crap with "scripting features" in a bloated language like JS (instead of say, Lua), and then the latter using up 10 times more memory, taking up 10 times more disk space, etc etc.

What is the point for it even existing at all when you have the former? Just contribute to the REAL project written *fully* in C, optimize it even more, and end up with just one but actually superior product instead of garbage upon garbage upon garbage which not only would create fragmentation but also is completely pointless, the world would be much better off. This isn't even reinventing the wheel, it's trying to reinvent the wheel but as a square, because it's "easier for the (non-real) programmers", but YOU ALREADY HAVE THE ROUND WHEEL.

Real programmers code in C (or assembler, when it absolutely matters) or perhaps a subset of C++, without introducing bloat even in C applications to interpret some stupid language that 99% of your users won't even use (scripting languages are meant to be modified, not to be executed and deployed), but it's there anyway to slow down and bloat up your project when it could've been done fully in C.
    Last edited by Weasel; 01 June 2018, 04:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
    Who cares? If somoeone's sick he should go to therapy.
    Being rude to sick people is still rude.

Your post is 200% fail.

Leave a comment:

• leipero
    replied
    Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Wow, did you go so far to misquote person here in order to do whatever you wanted (not sure what you wanted tbh.)? On serious note, Candy did not just assumed someone's sexual orientation, but also gender. It might be true that there's 100% males (and/or lesbians) in The Gnome Project, but still, assuming it shows prejudice of the assumer. I find it funny when people use prejudice on some ethinc/religious group as an form of "insult" for them being "b-hurt", yet they all got "b-hurt" if someone uses prejudice that is far more grounded in comparison against them.

Leave a comment:

• Candy
    replied
    Originally posted by brownsr View Post
    He's a leading light in Gnome, and a prolific contributor to open-source, so it's very disappointing to see him savaged by people here.
    See it from a different perspective. The emotions of the people is the reflection of Gnome's silly marketing. If the marketing makes people believe that Gnome is the leading desktop on Linux by ringing all the bells and whistles, then this is what may be expected to happen. People are upset because Gnome seems not to be what has been sold to them. Regardless of being an open-source community or if people work on things on their spare time or not.

If things are being stuffed in the throaths of people - and make it look that everything is the best of the best - then - yes - this is going to happen. It has been that way in Gnome since I can remember. Gnome has always been sold as "the leading desktop", "the standard desktop", "getting things done", "get out of the way of the workflow"...

But the reality is different. People are upset and complain because 16gb of Ram is filled up within 10 minutes of using Gnome. Everything stutters and crawls because of the technology used. Dumbing down features etc.

The world is not a nice place. Infact it's hostile. Gnome has been always that way. I for my own remember times (around 1999 - 2006), where the Gnome community (per definition the developers) have scared away plenty of users and contributors (and developers) with the attitute they had.

I learn today... nothing has changed...

Leave a comment:

• brownsr
    replied
    Michael

While I understand that you do not actively moderate your forums, it is disappointing that I've not seen any posts from you asking for respect for others. ebassi has taken an absolutely pasting from some people on this recent article, and while he is giving as good as he gets, his comment highlighting that this sort of treatment discourages people from contributing is spot on. In his own words:

"No, that's absolutely broken culture, and this is why people stop contributing to free software. The "product", as it is, it's the result of ton of time and effort; it's indistinguishable from me because I'm not a fucking machine that drinks coffee and pisses out code. If you think you can insult what I do and not insult me, you're clearly not contributing at all. Ignoring these little idiots running their mouths around can be done for a little while, but then it becomes unbearable; people burn out for this crap, and we lose contributors. Then we have to go around asking companies to fill the void by giving us money, and resources."

Regards

Simon

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by ebassi View Post
    You literally haven't read anything I wrote, and you clearly have no experience about anything with regards to graphics subsystems.
    well, i have no experience about anything with regards to gnome shell, though i've seen code from gtk and friends and my eyes were bleeding
    this does not mean you have some magic issues noone else has. i mean all your pain is self-inflicted by lousy programmers with crooked hands

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    No, you can't
    of course i can, whole desktop works that way
    The fact that you don't understand the difference between threads and processes also tells me you don't have the faintest clue what you're blabbering about.
    lol
    threads are processes with more shared state. if you can access gpu from separate processes, then you can do that from separate threads

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    Originally posted by Candy View Post

Appartment, Hookers, vegan Food and Travelling. Life is too short for anything elese...
    Originally posted by Candy View Post

... and a similar amount of developers, who have never seen a pussy in their whole life.

Maybe, maybe not, but at least they don't have to pay other people for that sort of things

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I suggest to retract the statement, assuming someone's sexual orientation is rude in fucked up by jewish racists modern world.

Leave a comment:

• onicsis
    replied

Gnome can barely run on modern desktop HW, running it on phones with mid range specs will be a joke.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X