GNOME 3 Might Be Too Resource Hungry To Ever Run Nicely On The Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post

Another good example is the budgie desktop environment. It's window manager uses mutter, and it's butter smooth compared to gnome-shell.
    bwat47 That was the case till "recent" version of mutter (3.20+), I don't know now tho, did not tested recently, but yeah, for sure it should work much better than GS.

Comment

As a Plasma 5 user, I can relate to this. A copying notification can slow down the whole desktop. Or a slow battery notification for my mouse.

Comment

Whilst I am the first to state the fact that Gnome 3 is an absolute embarrassment to the FOSS community, I will point out that Gnome 2 was also quite heavy and would not have been a great choice for the Raspberry Pi.

Gnome 1 or KDE 2.x might have been appropriate but.... Ooops, we let them rot. Perhaps we should try harder at maintaining Gnome 2 this time eh? I believe Mate is already looking into compositing, Gtk3 or fade effects rather than just maintaining the damn thing haha.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

Yes, completely agree with your comment (except rude part I've removed). I do not see clutter as problem, but implementation of features in GS, for example, try to run just mutter WM with gnome-flashback session (not based on Gnome Shell, the old one), it was quite smooth experience compared to GS, anyone who thinks otherwise can try it himself, add gnome-session-flashback (or whatever the name is), change WM to mutter or add "gala" (from Pantehon) and change it to gala to keep features like "alt-tab, overview...", last time I've tried input settings would cause 100% CPU usage, just disable it in dconf in flashback session, see it yourself.
          Gnome flashback uses metacity.

Comment

Originally posted by marciosr View Post

Gnome flashback uses metacity.
            I know, that's why I said change WM to mutter or gala.

Comment

Oh my god, this thread is full of shitheads which have never written a line of code and whose ganglia only react to buzzwords.

JavaScript was a fine choice as a scripting language, considering it's VMs are highly optimized and many people know it.

FYI: There are plans for an architectural redesign of Gnome 4 to overcome those problems:

Comment

Originally posted by stibium View Post
                <immature trolling bullshit>
                You're a complete dickhead.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                  Oh my god, this thread is full of shitheads which have never written a line of code and whose ganglia only react to buzzwords.
                  I mean, I saw the article title and knew immediately exactly what kind of thread this was going to be, and so did you.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                    ... and a similar amount of developers, who have never seen a pussy in their whole life.

Comment

Originally posted by stibium View Post
                      So, what you are saying is that that you are part of the problem?

My advice on taking constant barrage is to listen to the users instead of sucking Stallman's third thumb. Reevaluate your poor life and software decisions, and move on to better things. Or you can just pout in your cereal, I don't care. GNOME 3 is, and has always been a terrible project, and I say "terrible" because I can't articulate just how bad it is.

GNU is the cancer killing Linux.
                      Wtf has Stallman or GNU to do with GNOME development again?

Comment

Working...
                      X