GNOME 3 Might Be Too Resource Hungry To Ever Run Nicely On The Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dos1 View Post

…. Seems there are no good, well supported toolkit choices for C these days )
    nor should there be. Part of the reason we have such buggy and slow software these days is the Open Source community relying upon havked together platforms built upon C. Combine this with the ill concieved use of Javascript for even more hacked together code and you get GNOME.

Even a move to modern C++ would be huge but these days even bettter languages exist. Languages that by design support modern programming concepts, code safety and are performant (Rust, Swift and others come to mind). C should have died off long ago as an open source solution!

Comment

What is it about KDE / QT that it attracts such trolls to their 'cause'? The Gnome camp doesn't seem to be plagued by it. There must be something subliminal in it that draws in people with low self esteem.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

"GNOME Shell is written in C and JavaScript as a plugin for Mutter."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutter_(software)
        "Mutter is a window manager initially designed and implemented for the X Window System, and recently has evolved to be a Wayland compositor"
        Thanks for pointing out that to him. Although I'm probably not explaining myself clearly and it's an area I'm not well acquainted with, I sense he is deliberately trying to not understand me.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
          It doesn't work fine on those machines.
          He is talking of Clutter only, not of the whole GNOME DE.

Comment

A GNOME User
            GNOME Users

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
              What is it about KDE / QT that it attracts such trolls to their 'cause'? The Gnome camp doesn't seem to be plagued by it. There must be something subliminal in it that draws in people with low self esteem.
              I am asking this myself too. KDE is such a nice Desktop Environment but... oh boy... the community... :/

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                He is talking of Clutter only, not of the whole GNOME DE.
                I know! But at the end, the entire experience matters. If something stutters and hangs, then the entire DE is blamed.

My Xfce4 installation (stripped Fedora 28) boots 3 times faster into the Desktop from an USB stick, than the Gnome3 installation (on the same stripped Fedora 28 bottom but with Gnome3 rather than Xfce4) on Harddisk from my sisters computer. I have an A-450 APU with 4gb ram and an 64gb USB stick (which I use as system) and she has a i3, 8gb ram and something like a 1tb harddisk.

I was able to reduce the total boot time from 2 minutes to 38 seconds (on the system of my sister), by stripping out all the junk that got installed and services that got started). Where I need only around 10 seconds to boot into Xfce4 from USB using the same stripped Fedora 28 system.

I know Gnome has a lot of libraries to load, but still doesn't justify this performance loss. You see the mouse, you can move the mouse but GDM takes ages to show up.

Once inside GnomeShell you can go out and pick up a coffee to have Gnome3 settle with all the loads and rendering. If you use it instantly then it stutters and flickers but settles after a while.

If wonder if this is really necessary...

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

"GNOME Shell is written in C and JavaScript as a plugin for Mutter."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutter_(software)
                  "Mutter is a window manager initially designed and implemented for the X Window System, and recently has evolved to be a Wayland compositor"
                  Ah, yes: Wikipedia, the source of all truth, never changing, and always correct.

GNOME Shell uses Mutter as a library — and has been doing so for years.

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
                    We had some pretty fervent GNOME fanboys and KDE trolls on this board but they got banned or disappeared for some other reason.

I remember some guy that posted how GNOME was the Standard Linux Desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Avant

And if it worked fine on those shits, then what happened now and can't even run flawlessly on high-end machines?
                      Because GNOME Shell is not "just Clutter", and because Clutter hasn't changed in about 4-6 years when I stopped maintaining it. Plus, things have changed when it comes to GPUs in the same period of time, which means that what was moderately efficient 10 years ago is a lot worse, these days. Pushing 1024x768 full screen frames, for instance, is vastly different than pushing 3x4k full screen frames. Back in the day we also didn't pervasively use features like shaders and FBOs, which made the pipelines more efficient at the cost of a reduced features set.

Comment

Working...
                      X