GNOME 3 Might Be Too Resource Hungry To Ever Run Nicely On The Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 3 Might Be Too Resource Hungry To Ever Run Nicely On The Raspberry Pi

Phoronix: GNOME 3 Might Be Too Resource Hungry To Ever Run Nicely On The Raspberry Pi

If you try running the GNOME Shell today on the Raspberry Pi, it's a frustratingly slow experience. While some work is being done in addressing GNOME's GPU, CPU, and memory consumption, it might not ever be in a state to run smoothly on Raspberry Pi hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Also, the javascipt extension system being in the compositor thread ...
    It doesn't matter whether it is in the compositor thread or not. A javascript runtime will always be a resource hog in whatever thread is running. That is one of the technical reasons I won't touch Gnome 3 or Cinammon or any other javascript based desktop environment. Ofcource, the #1 reason is the horrible workflows that have been imposed to our throats by the developers as "innovations".

Comment

Even as someone who likes Gnome Shell its hard to deny that Clutter is a pos. Its always been inefficient and shitty, as demonstrated by the fact that it has such trouble running on old or underpowered hardware despite not really being all that complex in visual design or graphical effects.

Comment

The person who thought it was a good idea to put JS execution on the same thread should be tried for treason and violation of human rights.

Comment

Well, testing od desktop env should ne done on rather shutry hardware.

I mean, if you need relatively new PC just to have windows moved without hickups, there is definitely something wrong with DE. Not to mention this stupidity with JS

Comment

Originally posted by misp View Post
            Well, testing od desktop env should ne done on rather shutry hardware.

I mean, if you need relatively new PC just to have windows moved without hickups, there is definitely something wrong with DE. Not to mention this stupidity with JS
            I feel like even modern hardware is not enough for gnome. Superkey blowout animation lags on my x260 as soon as I moderately load the system and every now and then I can see gnome shell using 120% of my cpu for absolutely no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post

I feel like even modern hardware is not enough for gnome. Superkey blowout animation lags on my x260 as soon as I moderately load the system and every now and then I can see gnome shell using 120% of my cpu for absolutely no reason.
              Yeah, on my X270 its painfully slow compared to desktop with proper GPU. Recent i5 with only iGPU is not enough for GNOME, but the alternatives are worse (functionally, not performance pov)

Comment

GNOME keeps removing features, but despite that it's still too slow to run on a RPi. LOL...

Comment

Originally posted by misp View Post
                  I mean, if you need relatively new PC just to have windows moved without hickups, there is definitely something wrong with DE.
                  You're missing the point of modern DEs, which are targeted at people for whom re-arranging icons and windows is their primary workflow! It /has/ to look really spiffy and it is not like there is anything else likely to need the memory or CPU cycles anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by LaeMing View Post

You're missing the point of modern DEs, which are targeted at people for whom re-arranging icons and windows is their primary workflow! It /has/ to look really spiffy and it is not like there is anything else likely to need the memory or CPU cycles anyway!
                    Modern DE's should be whatever the user wants them to be, just as any other part of the "linux ecosystem". It's almost sad that the leading desktop environment doesn't even try to achieve this principle...

Comment

Working...
                    X