No announcement yet.

GNOME 3 Might Be Too Resource Hungry To Ever Run Nicely On The Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While i never understood the stupidity of Javascript being used in a key aspect of a GUI, i must say Gnome behaves better than Windows 10. That isnt saying much though.

As for Raspberrry PI who would rationally run resource heavy Windowing systems on the platform? If you dont understand your hardwares capabilities whom is to blame.

this brings up the question; what environment these days is lowresource and performant on such platforms? Enlightenment? KDE ( never liked it)? FVWM (does it still exist)? In any event Raspberry PI has the volume to justify something tailored to its neeeds. Complaing about Gnome on the platform just seeems misplaced in my mind. Now complaints about its behavior on modern hardware designed to run modern operating systems is another thing and highly justified.

Comment

This is going to be an issue for the Librem5 as well :|

Comment

Originally posted by ebassi View Post
        Second: Clutter was developed to work on SoC from 2008, and on netbooks with crappy Atom CPUs and Intel integrated GPUs that barely had fragment shaders. It worked fine on those.
        And if it worked fine on those shits, then what happened now and can't even run flawlessly on high-end machines?

Comment

Originally posted by Avant View Post
          And if it worked fine on those shits, then what happened now and can't even run flawlessly on high-end machines?
          It doesn't work fine on those machines. I do own one of these machines and Gnome3 is slow as suck (Fedora 28 with nearly everything removed that is not needed). Same applies on the system that my sister runs (i3, HDD, 8gb Ram). I installed Fedora 28 (with all services removed, tracker disabled and all that crap package management running in the bg). Gnome3 stutters, mouse movement stutters. It works! But it's not compareable if I run Xfce4 on the same system (which works fluent).

Gtk3 is also sluggish slow. I noticed a huge performance loss (in rendering and drawing of widgets). e.g. A lot of popup menus and windows show a black rectangle for around 1 second before anything is drawn on them. Been having this for quite some Fedora releases. This is totally noticable e.g. in xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin (Gtk3) and some other applications. Gtk3 Filechooser takes up to 3 seconds to actually pop up here. Even on the i3 system of my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by dos1 View Post

…. Seems there are no good, well supported toolkit choices for C these days )
            nor should there be. Part of the reason we have such buggy and slow software these days is the Open Source community relying upon havked together platforms built upon C. Combine this with the ill concieved use of Javascript for even more hacked together code and you get GNOME.

Even a move to modern C++ would be huge but these days even bettter languages exist. Languages that by design support modern programming concepts, code safety and are performant (Rust, Swift and others come to mind). C should have died off long ago as an open source solution!

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post

It doesn't work fine on those machines. I do own one of these machines and Gnome3 is slow as suck (Fedora 28 with nearly everything removed that is not needed). Same applies on the system that my sister runs (i3, HDD, 8gb Ram). I installed Fedora 28 (with all services removed, tracker disabled and all that crap package management running in the bg). Gnome3 stutters, mouse movement stutters. It works! But it's not compareable if I run Xfce4 on the same system (which works fluent).

Gtk3 is also sluggish slow. I noticed a huge performance loss (in rendering and drawing of widgets). e.g. A lot of popup menus and windows show a black rectangle for around 1 second before anything is drawn on them. Been having this for quite some Fedora releases. This is totally noticable e.g. in xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin (Gtk3) and some other applications. Gtk3 Filechooser takes up to 3 seconds to actually pop up here. Even on the i3 system of my sister.
              At least that was exactly what a gnome dev said and he can't be wrong. Can a gnome dev be wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by ebassi View Post
                First of all, and from the bottom of my heart: fuck off. You have zero clue about anything you just said. You should just delete your account.
                I know you are a gnome dev but please try to keep it civil and don't insult people. thnx

Comment

What is it about KDE / QT that it attracts such trolls to their 'cause'? The Gnome camp doesn't seem to be plagued by it. There must be something subliminal in it that draws in people with low self esteem.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Shell
                    "GNOME Shell is written in C and JavaScript as a plugin for Mutter."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutter_(software)
                    "Mutter is a window manager initially designed and implemented for the X Window System, and recently has evolved to be a Wayland compositor"
                    Thanks for pointing out that to him. Although I'm probably not explaining myself clearly and it's an area I'm not well acquainted with, I sense he is deliberately trying to not understand me.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                      It doesn't work fine on those machines.
                      He is talking of Clutter only, not of the whole GNOME DE.

Comment

Working...
                      X