Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emacs 26.1 Brings Double Buffering To Reduce Flickering, Lisp Threads, 24-Bit Colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Candy View Post
    Minimal system requirements:
    - 1 TB HD Space (preferably SSD for reducing loading time)
    - 16gb RAM
    - i9 7900X
    - GTX 980

Make sure that no other electronic devices are running in your home because it consumes more power than a bitcoin miner.
    hahahaha...says the visual studio/eclipse user!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
      You do realize that the original joke was "Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping"?
      That was a loooooooooong time ago.
      Emacs nowadays is very snappy.
      Not-so-snappy when you run a few programs at once....

Comment

yes if you run IRC mails and rss while you are editing a 1к js file in a project access ed over tramp it gets quite slow. There are a lot of things that god wish wouldn’t lock the ui, and the first suspects imho are always tramp and file system access in general. Seems like interprocess is not good enough since ui hangs one way or the other, probably because sharing state is too taxing, for example mu4e is maybe the most async friendly mail client, but displaying and searching emails is still a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina
          I find it amusing that Atom is actually more sluggish than Eclipse while being nowhere near Eclipse feature wise.
          Eclipse is vastly more advanced, you can dial the level of sluggishness by installing different plugins, it can run from "pretty decent" to "total shit". Can Atom offer variable sluggishness or is always the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
            You do realize that the original joke was "Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping"?
            That was a loooooooooong time ago.
            Emacs nowadays is very snappy.
            It's all going to change when they finally implement VR support.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina
              Speed of that text being pasted brings back memories.
              Wow, that's much slower than copy-pasting text (a few thousands of lines of scripts) in a nano file I open over ssh.

Comment

You are holding it wrong

wget "www.google.com" -O - | vim -

or

vim www.google.com

So why paste, if you can load it straight away ?

Comment

As much as I try to love EMACS, it is aging badly. And yes, it still gets very quickly slow and unstable, if you play around with it enough. It quickly eats up 1.5G+ of ram and crashes. Because it's using a bad lisp-like interpreted VM, and like many GNU projects, ideology and sociology is more important than code that works. HURD is still single threaded, and can use 1.X GB RAM max, and crashes elegantly, in that micro-kernels automatically restart the crashed service, which leads to and infinite crash-loop.

Ultraedit or Sublime are way ahead of Emacs for editing. But yeah, I still believe EMACS is the OS of the future, but it needs a major major overhaul. Maybe someone will start opening up the lisp core with lua, and start fixing deep down problems, sort of like how TeX is being saved from insanity with LuaLaTeX/ConTeXt. Lua is junk, but seems to work for hopeless cases like these.

Comment

Now rewrite it in Rust.

Oh, wait, right. That's already a work in progress: https://github.com/Wilfred/remacs

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Not-so-snappy when you run a few programs at once....
                      Emacs itself is still single-threaded. Gnus can be bothersome whilst it waits for lots of IO.
                      But on my machine emacs is not the bottleneck.

Comment

Working...
                      X