Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emacs 26.1 Brings Double Buffering To Reduce Flickering, Lisp Threads, 24-Bit Colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emacs 26.1 Brings Double Buffering To Reduce Flickering, Lisp Threads, 24-Bit Colors

Phoronix: Emacs 26.1 Brings Double Buffering To Reduce Flickering, Lisp Threads, 24-Bit Colors

For fans of the GNU Emacs feature-packed text editor, Emacs 26.1 is out this US Memorial Day...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes! Time to build a fresh new release and test it with spacemacs!

Best ever OS of all time!

No, seriously, emacs is awesome. A big "thank you!" to all developers involved.

Comment

Minimal system requirements:
      - 1 TB HD Space (preferably SSD for reducing loading time)
      - 16gb RAM
      - i9 7900X
      - GTX 980

Make sure that no other electronic devices are running in your home because it consumes more power than a bitcoin miner.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
        - 16gb RAM
        - i9 7900X
        - GTX 980

Make sure that no other electronic devices are running in your home because it consumes more power than a bitcoin miner.
        That's just absurd. By todays standards, Emacs is not resource hungry at all.

Comment

What about Wayland support?
          What about Vulkan?
          What about real multitasking? Those Lisp threads are a joke nowadays...
          What about 32bit color terminals?

This OS needs severe improvements...

Comment

I mean, it's true, today's standards means Atom. Clang integration is necessary to parse and highlight C++ correctly, everyone needs multiple cursor support and a minimap. There are backports of these features to vim, which is installed everywhere, they're on Atom, Emacs is just large enough to be left out, just different enough to be awkward, no one uses ^a ^e anymore. Desktop Linux is dead since Gnome 3 and Systemd. Who will choco install emacs and run emacs -nw in powershell?

Comment

Emacs is just fantastic! Looking forward for this new release..

Comment

Is there any ppa so I can install this version easily?

Comment

Thank god, 24-bit colors will make it a bit more pleasant to browse and game on emacs.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                    - 16gb RAM
                    - i9 7900X
                    - GTX 980

You do realize that the original joke was "Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping"?
                    That was a loooooooooong time ago.
                    Emacs nowadays is very snappy.

Comment

Working...
                    X