No announcement yet.

Jade: New Linux Desktop Built On Python, HTML5 & JavaScript

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We can't run everything inside the browser, so let's convert the desktop itself into a browser, because it's ok to have 30fps animations and 100ms latency in 2018!

Why can't web developers just stick with the web and leave the desktop alone?

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post

To be fair most web 2.0 or so, HTML 5 canvas and what not sites run like crap on my dual-core 2.x GHz G5 w/ 9GB of RAM that loaded the whole web instantly just half a decade (five years) ago, … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU1RK4TR-GA
      Nice channel you have there. I also have a Power Mac G5 (dual core, 2.3 GHz with 16 GiB of ECC RAM) running Debian Sid. Actually, the main problem is the (absence of a) JIT. JavaScript on powerpc/ppc64 is interpreted, I believe Firefox never supported IonMonkey on these architectures.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        (I joke... I don't want Javascript developers near kernel modules, just keep playing in the npm and pip playpen )
        It's too late: https://github.com/cervus-v/cervus - WASM in Ring 0.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
          i wasn't talking as much about speed as i was about poor performance in all aspects from browser with long standing tasks. just leaving simple semi active web page in chrome very soon becomes resource hog
          I don't think it is a massive risk for a GUI, it would be mostly static pages, some animations perhaps, and they have full control over what happens.

wobbly windows run on gl based compositor and it is basically just deforming square with texture on it. how is that even connected?
          "just" is an understatement, to get that simple effect you need Mesa, and a compositor and/or Xorg, and an actual GPU which can accelerate it.
          It's a task that would kill a CPU easily and requires hardware acceleration (i.e. it's cheating, if you could run javascript in hardware it would run so much faster too), for something that is completely unnecessary (the GUI is pretty much 2D otherwise). It was an example of requiring a lot of resources (relatively speaking) while still running fast enough for human usage.

you should just realize that truth you spoke goes both ways
          Heh, it would if you said that you had first-hand experience in what you claimed, but you admitted you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
            just leaving simple semi active web page in chrome very soon becomes resource hog
            Leave Chrome open even with no active web pages, and still watch it hog up your resources.

Comment

Not sure Jade is a good name given there's already a widely known bit of software out there with that name [1].

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JADE_(...mming_language)

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              Can people stop faffing with the silly GUI stuff, we all go back to Gnome 2 and concentrate 100% of our developer efforts on drivers such as ACPI so... y'know, Linux actually works on hardware?

(I joke... I don't want Javascript developers near kernel modules, just keep playing in the npm and pip playpen )
              Very true.
              Last edited by brrrrttttt; 28 May 2018, 01:29 AM. Reason: fixing url, silly forum software linked without the trailing paren

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Which is as snappy as it needs to be for good usability. On the other hand it won't have the memory leaks, buffer overflows, null pointer crashes, race conditions and other goodies that usually come with C/C++ code.
                "as it needs to be"? like unnecessarily draining the battery, with all the overheard. So this is how we got to battery life of 5h, when it could be 10h? To be honest, gnome2 did not had memory leaks and null pointer crashes that I would remember, ...

Comment

Originally posted by HyperDrive View Post

Nice channel you have there. I also have a Power Mac G5 (dual core, 2.3 GHz with 16 GiB of ECC RAM) running Debian Sid. Actually, the main problem is the (absence of a) JIT. JavaScript on powerpc/ppc64 is interpreted, I believe Firefox never supported IonMonkey on these architectures.
                  Yes, I know, however, I was mostly even speaking about the last Safari build of the last macOS ;-) It is sad to see the modern web run on a "some years old browser", ... PS: Imagine how much longer battery life one would get without all this over-designed web stuff, ..!
                  Last edited by rene; 28 May 2018, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Devs, please stop making everything.js.
                    Computational cycles still matter. And they will continue to matter for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Your computer is too old. Enterprises usually update your notebook every 3 years, max.
                      Forbes top 500 company here.
                      We still have 2011 laptops.... we replace them with not a lot faster ones, 8gb ram, dualcore 2.133-2.4 ghz I5's (Hyperthreading) the new ones have M2's that improve absolutely nothing.
                      Their memory and I/o have been upgraded over 7 years of "progress"

No, stuff runs just slower... and slower... and slower...
                      I run a xeon 2680v2 in windows for my work stuff and it is slow as hell.

Comment

Working...
                      X