Jade: New Linux Desktop Built On Python, HTML5 & JavaScript

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rene View Post

To be fair most web 2.0 or so, HTML 5 canvas and what not sites run like crap on my dual-core 2.x GHz G5 w/ 9GB of RAM that loaded the whole web instantly just half a decade (five years) ago, … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU1RK4TR-GA
    Your computer is too old. Enterprises usually update your notebook every 3 years, max.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      And also note that most lagging in a webpage is due to latency introduced by downloading stuff, on a local page you don't have that.
      Web is still quite bad when you need multiple layers and stuff like that. Mozilla doesn't have any kind of acceleration turned on.

Comment

I don't understand why it would need Python. JavaScript is a Turing complete full-fledged real language. Python basically fills the same role as a dynamic/scripting/object oriented language. So it doesn't make any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          I don't understand why it would need Python. JavaScript is a Turing complete full-fledged real language. Python basically fills the same role as a dynamic/scripting/object oriented language. So it doesn't make any sense.
          Micheael_s said that the Pythoon seems to be just glue code to start up the DE. It was probably easier to do that with python than with javascript.

Comment

Web is still quite bad when you need multiple layers and stuff like that. Mozilla doesn't have any kind of acceleration turned on.
            Acceleration does not matter if the site lags because it's waiting for 4 different cdns to send over images, scripts and ads.

Comment

Why all this hate for Python? I think this is a great idea, Python is easy to write multi-threaded and multi=processing code, since the move with desktop cpu's seems to be more and more cores it makes sense to move away from 70's era programming languages.

Personally, I would love it if the rewrote the entire Linux stack, from kernel to user space in Python or Rust or Ruby.

Comment

HTML5, CSS, Javascript....all that's missing is Chromium and it's an Electron derived desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  To be fair, I've seen websites or web applications far, far more complex than any DE run perfectly fine.
                  performig fine is a really vague term. the only way you could really judge performance is if someone wrote same thing native. browser is pretty much jack of all trades and master of absolutely nothing same as are web technologies. the more longterm something is, the more master of nothing shows its teeth in all aspects.

i will say that i have no clue what or how or on what it runs and i will never know that because i lost all interest to follow anything in that project when i saw html and desktop in the same sentence. i think reading car and square wheels would make more sense to me

pretty much the same as my interest for ChromeOS. i heard it supposedly exists, don't even bother checking that fact to be sure. or to simplify it, i care about ChromeOS just as much as I want to prove jetty exists. i think you can imagine my hype for this desktop then

Comment

Your computer is too old. Enterprises usually update your notebook every 3 years, max.
                    I know this nice piece in my collection is old, but given how high-end power-full it was we should ask ourself the question if this IT development trend are right and worth it. Also imagine how much cooler things (and AI) one could do if one does not burn all the CPU cycles of an Epyc AMD multi-core system on running Python and all the overblown web frameworks, ... not to mention their gazillion tracker and ad injectors, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

You don't know until you've run it. https://github.com/codesardine/Jadesktop and https://github.com/codesardine/Jade-Application-Kit on first glance it looks like the code only really use Python to launch the application window, not run any important event loops. So Python may not be a problem.

...but I don't care enough to take it for a spin. My eight year old desktop runs "heavyweight" GNOME 3, KDE Plasma, and Unity 7 flawlessly and instantly.
                      Sorry. I thought it was used in majority. I should really research before talking...

Comment

Working...
                      X