Vulkan Adds An Exception To Address Wine's Code License Incompatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan Adds An Exception To Address Wine's Code License Incompatibility

Phoronix: Vulkan Adds An Exception To Address Wine's Code License Incompatibility

The Vulkan's documentation/generator being re-licensed from an MIT-style license to the Apache 2.0 license had caused problems for the Wine project supporting newer than Vulkan 1.0.51, but fortunately that issue has been resolved...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Amazing! Thanks!

Apache 2.0 is (A)(L)GPLv3 compatible. Am I right?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Amazing! Thanks!

Apache 2.0 is (A)(L)GPLv3 compatible. Am I right?
      Yes. As I remember, it was an effort from both sides.
      1. Apache 2.0 resolved needlessly problematic bits in Apache 1.x but couldn't quite reach compatibility with GPLv2-family licenses because things like its explicit patent grant counted as prohibited "additional restrictions" under the GPLv2 terms.
      2. When the GPLv3 family of licenses were drafted, compatibility with Apache 2.0 was an explicit goal.
      (Apache 2.0 is actually the FSF's recommended choice if you want a permissive rather than copyleft license.)
      Last edited by ssokolow; 25 May 2018, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Good job!
        Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Yes. As I remember, it was an effort from both sides.
          1. Apache 2.0 resolved needlessly problematic bits in Apache 1.x but couldn't quite reach compatibility with GPLv2-family licenses because things like its explicit patent grant counted as prohibited "additional restrictions" under the GPLv2 terms.
          2. When the GPLv3 family of licenses were drafted, compatibility with Apache 2.0 was an explicit goal.
          (Apache 2.0 is actually the FSF's recommended choice if you want a permissive rather than copyleft license.)
          Oh. Now I remember everything. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Working...
          X