GIMP 2.10.2 Released With HEIF Image Format Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
    The Internet infrastructure already uses JPEGmini for image content optimization, which works just fine for all current applications, as the Internet is not a high-resolution source of content for the most part. Over the next ten years, that will change as 4K and 8K (or beyond) will be the new standard display sizes, requiring new image compression techniques and formats to handle the image content. By the time that occurs, we'll have an appropriate successor to JPEG, hopefully build on open technology that everyone can use.
    I have given up the hope of seeing consumer laptops with resolutions better than 1366x768 within my lifetime, and I'm not going to die in the next decade.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      I have given up the hope of seeing consumer laptops with resolutions better than 1366x768 within my lifetime, and I'm not going to die in the next decade.
      Not sure what you mean? A quick search online turns up plenty of such laptops... 1920x1080 resolution for US$ 400-500 kind of price range. For that kind of money, they're kind of crap, but they certainly exist...

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

Not sure what you mean? A quick search online turns up plenty of such laptops... 1920x1080 resolution for US$ 400-500 kind of price range. For that kind of money, they're kind of crap, but they certainly exist...
        Yeah.. some even have 4k displays now.. but they are more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
          dwagner - it's not just about storage, it's also about transfer.

Think about mobile devices - not everyone has 32+ GB storage. Devices like watches have even lower storage space.

Plus, lower image size is always better for image transfer - smaller the size, lesser network bandwidth required, lesser data usage for people, lesser network traffic for data centers. And of course, lesser storage space used up for data centers, any one with servers storing images.
          Plus faster image loading when you're in an area with lower reception.

Comment

Not per se. My Dell Chromebook 13 running Solus Linux has a MATTE 1920x1080 display and everything is beautiful and crisp. Price was little over 500, so still near your mentioned price range.

Comment

Yeah they are out there, but most machines sold are basic ones and stuck with crap screens.

And when you find a nice one, with a good screen above 1080p for a good price, always a old fart will apear to lament the state of things and how they wish screens go back to the 4:3 aspect ratio of yore, even if modern screens have way more vertical resolution than any old 4:3, and modern desktops allows you to have multiple windows shown simultaneously.

Comment

Online. In the big box stores (real life sellers) it's always the same low-res crap with outrageous low quality reflective screens, up to 600 euros at least. Should have been more specific, this one is on me.

Besides if you buy online (from international stores within the EU at least) it was always easy to find whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  And when you find a nice one, with a good screen above 1080p for a good price, always a old fart will apear to lament the state of things and how they wish screens go back to the 4:3 aspect ratio of yore, even if modern screens have way more vertical resolution than any old 4:3, and modern desktops allows you to have multiple windows shown simultaneously.
                  (... brace yourself, young one, for this old fart is going to lament the current state of things)

More vertical resolution, on desktops yes, in laptops no or "kinda no" (higher res but small screen and you need to upscale to see GUI elements, wasting space).

But still, what has aspect ratio to do with resolution available in old screens again?
                  You know right that higher resolutions of 4:3 aspect ratio monitors exist?
                  That operating systems as old as Windows 3.1 were able to "multitask" with many windows (multitask from an user perspective)?

4:3 only starts becoming stupid when you go in 4k (while keeping the same pixel density of a FullHD screen, for example having a 4k screen that is 43''), but there the master race becomes the 16:10 (widescreen), which is like having 2x 4:3 monitors side by side. Many old farts migrated to widescreens when it was the time to upgrade their 4:3.

At lower resolutions 16:9 straight up loses to 4:3 at the same-ish resolution for productivity, as the 16:9 arranges the space to the sides, going into your peripheral vision, which is not accurate, so you need to move the eyes to see what is there and then move again to see what is in the center and so on. Plus the fact that many applications are still designed to use a ton of vertical space, in many fields.

16:9 actually a somewhat better for gaming, as there having peripheral vision is great, and the camera moves with you anyway, as long as it does not sacrifice too much vertical space it's all fine.

Again keeping same pixel density as a normal fullHD screen, shoving a 4k screen in a 21 or even 27'' space wastes a lot of space because you need to upscale stuff or you don't see the GUI elements. Those screens use the higher res to look better, and that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    What happened to BPG? How did HEIF acquire popularity so fast?
                    Well, popularity is relative, I'd say you are extremely unlikely to come across a HEIF image in the wild, it's basically only used within the Apple ecosystem and I doubt it's seeing any real uptake there either given that you will in most cases have to convert it to another format for use outside of said Apple universe.

That said, HEIF is a container format, which means it can support other codecs than HEVC, as I recall it currently supports AVC as well. Now the problem with adopting these formats is that they are require royalties.

99.9% of all image distribution today is done on the web, the chance that web pages will agree to pay royalties to distribute images is, well, insanely slim in my opinion, particularly when the bandwidth from images is nowhere near that of video, and even video is now becoming royalty free courtesy of AV1.

If (and that's a big if) jpeg will be replaced as the de facto lossy image format, I can only see that happening with a royalty free format, with the most likely contender being a still format based upon AV1 and thus royalty free, which does exist as a proposal: https://github.com/AOMediaCodec/av1-avif

Even so, jpeg is still so entrenched and efficient enough for the needs of still images, that seeing a new format replacing it is something I find very unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinch View Post
                      Well, popularity is relative, I'd say you are extremely unlikely to come across a HEIF image in the wild, it's basically only used within the Apple ecosystem and I doubt it's seeing any real uptake there either given that you will in most cases have to convert it to another format for use outside of said Apple universe.
                      Apple added support to iOS 11 (and its the default on it) and macOS 10.13 last summer, Adobe added support to Creative Cloud last fall, Microsoft added support to Windows in Win10 1803, Google added support in Android P in March. On the Linux side everything (libheif/imagemagick/gimp) has been added in the past month or so in official releases. iOS 11 already has > 80% adoption and combined with Android 9 (with ease of update due to treble) this fall adoption should go up quite a bit by the end of the year.

Comment

Working...
                      X