KDE Plasma 5.13 Beta Released With A Compelling Number Of Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ⲣⲂaggins View Post
    For those complaining about login times, I've found two things make a huge difference:
    • Turn off QT_LOGGING_RULES, to suppress the default generation of vast swathes of debug messages.
    • Run it under libeatmydata to defers disk syncs, which kde makes a lot of during login.

Could you point me to a guide or something (or explain it yourself) on how to disable QT_LOGGING_RULES?

Comment

Does libeatmydata COMPLETELY disables fsync?
      How one writes to disk if the entire DE is running with it preloaded?
      Manually invoking "sync" by command line maybe or just waiting for the "commit" interval (speaking of ext4 here)
      Sorry for tyhe OT.

Comment

Why people keep crying about RAM usage all the time? If you are that much RAM limited, use DOS 6.x with 640k and be done with it. Seriously.

This is a market where i can't even find 2GB ram sticks anymore. The minimum you can put on a single channel pc is 4GB of ram. The MINIMUM. You can't buy less, unless you get second hand. And you cry about 300 or 400 MB ram for your desktop? Seriously?

RAM is supposed to be used. There is no point having 16GB or 32GB ram and having it all be empty. And the more RAM you use the less cpu cycles you tend to use as well. So stop crying and upgrade your PCs FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
          Why people keep crying about RAM usage all the time? If you are that much RAM limited, use DOS 6.x with 640k and be done with it. Seriously.

This is a market where i can't even find 2GB ram sticks anymore. The minimum you can put on a single channel pc is 4GB of ram. The MINIMUM. You can't buy less, unless you get second hand. And you cry about 300 or 400 MB ram for your desktop? Seriously?

RAM is supposed to be used. There is no point having 16GB or 32GB ram and having it all be empty. And the more RAM you use the less cpu cycles you tend to use as well. So stop crying and upgrade your PCs FFS.
          I know. If it takes 333MB, I could run 12 fully separate instances on just my phone, for crying out loud.

Comment

I wish the KDE developers would add support for the AppImage format.
            I don't care about the other centralized formats.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              I wish the KDE developers would add support for the AppImage format.
              I don't care about the other centralized formats.
              You don't need the DE to support AppImage. Just mark it as executable and run it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Could you point me to a guide or something (or explain it yourself) on how to disable QT_LOGGING_RULES?
                I originally found the tip here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=193123

Comment

Originally posted by kokoko3k View Post
                  Does libeatmydata COMPLETELY disables fsync?
                  How one writes to disk if the entire DE is running with it preloaded?
                  Manually invoking "sync" by command line maybe or just waiting for the "commit" interval (speaking of ext4 here)
                  Sorry for tyhe OT.
                  sync command won't work, ext4 commit interval will. Another alternative is SysRq+S.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

"Resources are there to be used. Therefore, let's write lazy inefficient code so that all those free resources which would otherwise be wasted get used!"

I do not understand this mantra that unused RAM is wasted RAM. Inefficiently-used memory is worse than unused memory, because it negatively impacts other uses like the disk cache.

Comment

Originally posted by ⲣⲂaggins View Post

I originally found the tip here: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=193123
                      Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X