KDE Plasma 5.13 Beta Released With A Compelling Number Of Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.13 Beta Released With A Compelling Number Of Improvements

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.13 Beta Released With A Compelling Number Of Improvements

KDE Plasma 5.13 is out in beta form today ahead of its planned release in June. Plasma 5.13 has ended up being a very compelling and huge upgrade for the KDE Plasma 5 desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I like how they started to call Plasma a LIGHTWEIGHT desktop... i really like it haha

Comment

The mouse system settings now supports libinput on X and Wayland.
      I'm waiting for this one to finally switch to Wayland session with KDE Plasma (since xinput isn't working with Wayland naturally and there is no Wayland analog for it).

Krunner though needs some serious code redesign. It's now getting stuck left and right, and once it's stuck it never comes back, until after relogin, hanging on some socket forever. It should use non blocking async I/O instead.
      Last edited by shmerl; 18 May 2018, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Not yet in the Arch kde-unstable repo yet...
        Can't wait to try out the new blur effects

Comment

I am very satisfied with Plasma 5, I find it a great DE!

Comment

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
            I like how they started to call Plasma a LIGHTWEIGHT desktop... i really like it haha
            Not sure if you're being sarcastic here. I'm using Plasma now and it certainly feels like a lightweight desktop now, at least when compared to Gnome and Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
              Not sure if you're being sarcastic here. I'm using Plasma now and it certainly feels like a lightweight desktop now, at least when compared to Gnome and Unity.
              I'm using KDE Plasma too, and it is lightweight in some ways, but in others (like I/O) it can be slow. For instance it performs badly on HDD (huge login times), it basically strongly suggests using SSD for anything desktop related to get acceptable performance.

Comment

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
                Yes it is pretty hilarious; using kde neon on my Chromebook and it's using up a whopping 350mb at start up /s

Comment

They sure seem to change the system settings layout a lot. Overall though, all of these sound like nice changes. Especially the web browser download integration.

Comment

I wonder how good XWayland will work for games now, on Plasma-Wayland recently the input didn't work anymore reliable in games like Tomb Raider, the mouse was often stuttering, impossible to move 360° or sometimes it did even jump by 180°... impossible to control.

Comment

Working...
                    X