No announcement yet.

Vim 8.1 Adds Support For Running A Terminal In The Vim Window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've used this feature a lot in the text editor I've used since about 1985 (JOVE). I find it amazing what vi users have lived without in those years.

Comment

I'm not sure about this one. There's tmux for that kind of thing.

Comment

I will always prefer nano. While being far from perfect at least it is kind of straight forward to use.
        Last edited by George99; 19 May 2018, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
          I will always prefer nano. While being far from perfect at least it is kind of straight forward to use.
          Straight forward as a pen and a piece of paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
            I am driving crazy... You open Vim in a terminal and then you open a terminal inside Vim and then you open Vim inside the terminal inside Vim and then you open a terminal inside Vim inside a terminal inside Vim inside a terminal...
            VimCeption!

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              If you are on a physical machine you can usually Ctrl+Alt+F1 (or F2, F3, F4, F5, F6, F7) to switch between 7 different terminals.

If you are on SSH you can just open all other sessions you feel like opening to have more than one terminal window.

If you are connected on serial... afaik you can't multiplex like that, but again serial isn't that common anymore.
              If I am in X (your CTRL+ALT+Fn case) then I am not working in a text interface, now am I?

And, there are other operating systems than Linux (your ALT-F1, ... case)

OTOH if I am in a single user session on a broken Linux box then none of those are available.

Comment

Originally posted by slayerizer

yeah next version will replace systemd and will run with PID 1.
                Sounds good - Vi is a text editor, so no more binary logfiles from systemd!

Comment

Working...
                X