Vim 8.1 Adds Support For Running A Terminal In The Vim Window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
    I am driving crazy... You open Vim in a terminal and then you open a terminal inside Vim and then you open Vim inside the terminal inside Vim and then you open a terminal inside Vim inside a terminal inside Vim inside a terminal...

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      That's no text editor, it's a IDE.
      That's no IDE, That's an OS Replacement!

Also, when will this feature catch up with Emacs stop?!

Comment

Oh wow, really shows how good neovim was for the main project. They rejected this feature for so long that I thought the old guard would've rather died than let it fly.

Comment

No one cares for neovim besides the 2 people developing and using it.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
            No one cares for neovim besides the 2 people developing and using it.
            Oh, that's why their git repository only have 2000 forks!

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
              I am driving crazy... You open Vim in a terminal and then you open a terminal inside Vim and then you open Vim inside the terminal inside Vim and then you open a terminal inside Vim inside a terminal inside Vim inside a terminal...
              Surely Vim 8.2 will have an embedded scripting engine to let you automate that process!

Comment

I enjoyed the humor in the comments on this!

Serious comment though: if I am working in a text mode interfface with no GUI, thus no xterms or cmd shells, then this could be very useful.

If only I can remember the command mode key sequences to operate it!

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
                  I enjoyed the humor in the comments on this!

Serious comment though: if I am working in a text mode interfface with no GUI, thus no xterms or cmd shells, then this could be very useful.

If only I can remember the command mode key sequences to operate it!
                  If you are on a physical machine you can usually Ctrl+Alt+F1 (or F2, F3, F4, F5, F6, F7) to switch between 7 different terminals.

If you are on SSH you can just open all other sessions you feel like opening to have more than one terminal window.

If you are connected on serial... afaik you can't multiplex like that, but again serial isn't that common anymore.

Comment

I heard someone joking that now they can finally close vim by calling kill within vim terminal.

Comment

If you are on SSH you can just open all other sessions you feel like opening to have more than one terminal window.
                      Depending on many factors, opening new ssh sessions might not be that handy: I usually jump between a few hops before reaching the ssh server I need to connect to.

If you are connected on serial... afaik you can't multiplex like that, but again serial isn't that common anymore.
                      Code:
                      # virsh console guest1
                      is quite common and it uses a emulated serial.

However I solve both problems with GNU screen.

Comment

Working...
                      X