GNOME's 2018 Performance Hackfest Wraps Up In Cambridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tessio View Post

More than 10 years using Linux and I don't remember the last time, if ever, that I tried to execute a program from the file manager. Maybe you are a Windows user?
    Originally posted by Candy
    ... and before that time you probably used to use Windows.

We on Linux suffer from all those Windows and macOS people that come to Linux because they got fed up of the systems they used to use before. Ending up with the fact that they want to have Linux operate like Windows or macOS. The systems they used to get fed up with.
    Oh come off your high horses. you people come around throwing aspirations that Linux is supposed to be magically different from everything else, especially the other two most commonly used OSes and that being different is somehow automatically a good thing, and this whole "OMG well I never used that what are you? A Windows user?" I can tell you right now you're a complete joke.

Here let me let you in on a little secret: GNOME cribbed the architectural design of their desktop from Windows. There's a reason they have a registry and they were using the file manager to display desktop icons, and this isn't something new to 3, it's been the case for a very very long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

Oh come off your high horses. you people come around throwing aspirations that Linux is supposed to be magically different from everything else, especially the other two most commonly used OSes and that being different is somehow automatically a good thing, and this whole "OMG well I never used that what are you? A Windows user?" I can tell you right now you're a complete joke.

Here let me let you in on a little secret: GNOME cribbed the architectural design of their desktop from Windows. There's a reason they have a registry and they were using the file manager to display desktop icons, and this isn't something new to 3, it's been the case for a very very long time.
      But the time Windows was the most popular OS is gone. This is Android now. People expect to download apps from an App Store and use the launcher to execute it.

I can tell you right now you're a complete joke.
      And I can tell you right now that you're living in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
        Switched to Xfce after Gnome3 has shown its face. Never looked back. Running Xfce4 from Git (100% Gtk3) and am fully satisfied.
        I'm guessing, from your 2 posts within the same hour attempting ( yet failing ) to bag out Gnome, that you actually spend quite a bit of your time "looking back". What's more, I'm 100% certain that you're not "fully satisfied". Fully satisfied people behave differently to you.

Comment

But the time Windows was the most popular OS is gone. This is Android now. People expect to download apps from an App Store and use the launcher to execute it.

And I can tell you right now that you're living in the past.
          Aww isn't that cute, it thinks it's people. Here's another protip for you: The Desktop isn't dead no matter how much your deluded mind might want it to be. People don't magically not know how to use computers anymore, and if you think that people have stopped downloading executables you clearly don't have to play tech support for friends and family. There are more android devices being bought and replaced and people are browsing more on their phones rather than whipping out their laptops when on the go... great, That doesn't really change how they're using their desktops unless you happen to live in a world where Microsoft's Windows Store is actually a success rather than a major flop, and people aren't using Steam, Origin, UPlay, and Galaxy among other software which they have to you know... download and run even though they're "app stores" themselves.

Also if you think mobile paradigms forced onto the desktop are such a great idea, you must have loved Windows 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
            Howto improve performance ... by removing even more code!

Now that the desktop code is gone maybe we should remove the desktop files handling inside Nautilus (and with it maybe the ability to run binary files).

For long we used to support that since the desktop was part of Nautilus. Also, back then we didn't have a Software app where you are expected to installs apps....

First screenshot running Gnome Git:

https://distrowatch.com/images/other/gnome4.png
            Wait, is this serious!?

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
              ... that you actually spend quite a bit of your time "looking back".
              Not back, but in the future. Specially these Flatpak announcements on Phoronix caught my attention.

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
              Fully satisfied people behave differently to you.
              Yeah! Gnome followers speaking about "behaviour". The right ones! Attacking everyone else who have a different view of things.

But hey! We are talking about the Desktop that got abandoned by its own creators. No one abandons a project that they belive in.

Comment

Aww isn't that cute, it thinks it's people. Here's another protip for you: The Desktop isn't dead no matter how much your deluded mind might want it to be. People don't magically not know how to use computers anymore, and if you think that people have stopped downloading executables you clearly don't have to play tech support for friends and family. There are more android devices being bought and replaced and people are browsing more on their phones rather than whipping out their laptops when on the go... great, That doesn't really change how they're using their desktops unless you happen to live in a world where Microsoft's Windows Store is actually a success rather than a major flop, and people aren't using Steam, Origin, UPlay, and Galaxy among other software which they have to you know... download and run even though they're "app stores" themselves.

Also if you think mobile paradigms forced onto the desktop are such a great idea, you must have loved Windows 8.
                Ah, you are the old tech support guy unable to adapt to a new paradigm. Now I get it.

Comment

Ah, you are the old tech support guy that is unable to adapt to a new paradigm. Now I get it.

Comment

Originally posted by aaahaaap View Post
                    Wait, is this serious!?
                    Yes it is, that's their source repo and they are dropping support for opening executables directly from Nautilus.

Which quite frankly is OK for me, people that are still using Nautilus at all don't need that. Everyone else migrated to other file managers long ago when they started hiding shit and dumbing down the interface.

Comment

Ah, you are the old tech support guy that is unable to adapt to a new paradigm. Now I get it.
                      I'm an ace at operating Android, down to nerdgasm levels of hacks to get shit to work the way I want it to, and I can guess what to do on iOS better than most iOS owners even if I never used Apple products.

Still think that placing a touch-centric interface on a desktop or laptop (that was not designed with touch interface in mind, at most it is added as an afterthought) is a stupid idea.

Even MS backpedaled quite a bit on that.

Comment

Working...
                      X