KDE Plasma Developers Collaborating With Sway On Wayland Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xpris View Post
    Sway developer? Hmm, is this moron who called users: ""? If yes. Well Im not blame him for lack support nvidia graphics driver in his shity sway but I blame him for malicious treatment of users. In the past, when someone asked "hey what card to buy for Linux or to play on Linux". People answered taking NVIDIA. Now that AMD is getting better in this field, this fool puts NVidia users in one bag and calls them shitty customers ... omg. FU sway develper. In my opinion he not deserve to work with kde devs. I hope he get kick in ass from kde devs.
    Actually, there are a ton of reasons to avoid supporting Nvidia that have nothing to do with Linux. Not properly supporting Linux is just icing on the cake actually:

1) Nvidia routinely cheats on benchmarks for decades via "driver optimizations" that blatantly remove stuff from rendering properly

2) Nvidia routinely misleads consumers with cards like 970 "4GB vram" or 1060 3GB (which is extremely cut down compared to 6GB but you wouldn't know it if you are not an advanced and informed user).

3) Nvidia anticompetitive behaviour with stuff like GPP

4) Nvidia exploiting their Nvidia partners program and Gameworks to make games perform less on their hardware, lesser on their older hardware (poor Kepler) in order to force upgrades, and much less on AMD hardware, via shitty tricks like overtesselating everything for no reason.

5) Nvidia sending golden samples for reviews that can sustain turbo clocks for much longer than most consumer cards will ever will, thus making their parts seem better than they really are for normal, sustained gaming. No one plays games for 5-10 minutes and stops, only benchmarks do this. Ever met people with Nvidia cards complaining that after some time they face "lag spikes" and performance drops? It is their gpu throttling because of heat. Nvidia gpu turbo clocks are extremely aggressive, borderline 2x the normal clocks, and this is unsustainable over long periods of gaming, but are perfect for benchmarking since most benchmarkers only measure 5 minutes of gameplay at best, then they stop in order to launch the next game or switch gpus, allowing time for the gpu to cool off...

6) Nvidia exploiting their dominant position in the industry in order to silence points 1-5. Anyone who dares talk about stuff like these in a professional manner gets the blacklist at best, a visit from their lawyers at worst. See what Kyle from Hardocp suffers now because he blew the whistle on GPP.

So yeah, people who still buy Nvidia are uninformed and shitty customers, and not only on Linux. I am an IT professional and i have lost count of the times people ask me to propose hardware to them and insist for some retarded reason on getting Nvidia stuff, even when AMD stuff were blatantly better, for example the HD5000 era. It is this stupidity that has lead the gpu market to stagnation these days, with AMD deprived of resources due to poor sales despite their hardware being stellar, and Nvidia enjoying a dominant position they don't deserve. I hope Intel enters the dGPU market at some point and destroys this POS company.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

Actually, there are a ton of reasons to avoid supporting Nvidia that have nothing to do with Linux. Not properly supporting Linux is just icing on the cake actually:

1) Nvidia routinely cheats on benchmarks for decades via "driver optimizations" that blatantly remove stuff from rendering properly

2) Nvidia routinely misleads consumers with cards like 970 "4GB vram" or 1060 3GB (which is extremely cut down compared to 6GB but you wouldn't know it if you are not an advanced and informed user).

3) Nvidia anticompetitive behaviour with stuff like GPP

4) Nvidia exploiting their Nvidia partners program and Gameworks to make games perform less on their hardware, lesser on their older hardware (poor Kepler) in order to force upgrades, and much less on AMD hardware, via shitty tricks like overtesselating everything for no reason.

5) Nvidia sending golden samples for reviews that can sustain turbo clocks for much longer than most consumer cards will ever will, thus making their parts seem better than they really are for normal, sustained gaming. No one plays games for 5-10 minutes and stops, only benchmarks do this. Ever met people with Nvidia cards complaining that after some time they face "lag spikes" and performance drops? It is their gpu throttling because of heat. Nvidia gpu turbo clocks are extremely aggressive, borderline 2x the normal clocks, and this is unsustainable over long periods of gaming, but are perfect for benchmarking since most benchmarkers only measure 5 minutes of gameplay at best, then they stop in order to launch the next game or switch gpus, allowing time for the gpu to cool off...

6) Nvidia exploiting their dominant position in the industry in order to silence points 1-5. Anyone who dares talk about stuff like these in a professional manner gets the blacklist at best, a visit from their lawyers at worst. See what Kyle from Hardocp suffers now because he blew the whistle on GPP.

So yeah, people who still buy Nvidia are uninformed and shitty customers, and not only on Linux. I am an IT professional and i have lost count of the times people ask me to propose hardware to them and insist for some retarded reason on getting Nvidia stuff, even when AMD stuff were blatantly better, for example the HD5000 era. It is this stupidity that has lead the gpu market to stagnation these days, with AMD deprived of resources due to poor sales despite their hardware being stellar, and Nvidia enjoying a dominant position they don't deserve. I hope Intel enters the dGPU market at some point and destroys this POS company.

I do not blame him for not supporting NVIDIA proprietary drivers. I understand why. His project. His case. As well, it can support only GPU from VIA ... I don't care. He does not want, or can not support NVIDIA? Ok, I don't care. Now topic should be closed but not... because he insult some Linux users. I will not let offend users. Look at steam 75% users use NVIDIA GPU. So he insult about 75% users. Look at new customers, sale results in Europe AMD in this year is only about 10-14% of dedicated GPU sale... so 86-90% of sales is NVIDIA. So 90% of new customers is shitt customers? Even yes, he has no right to call them shitty customers! So if he calls them that, he's a shitty developer. Not because he not want or can't support NVIDIA, just because he not respect users.

I can agree with this situation: My sway not support nvidia proprietary drivers, so don't buy it if u want my support. Just buy AMD.
      - this is ok.

but this: nvidia customers are shity customers. Fuck u and etc...
      - this is not ok.
      This just shows me that this guy is insane in some way.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post

I do not blame him for not supporting NVIDIA proprietary drivers. I understand why. His project. His case. As well, it can support only GPU from VIA ... I don't care. He does not want, or can not support NVIDIA? Ok, I don't care. Now topic should be closed but not... because he insult some Linux users. I will not let offend users. Look at steam 75% users use NVIDIA GPU. So he insult about 75% users. Look at new customers, sale results in Europe AMD in this year is only about 10-14% of dedicated GPU sale... so 86-90% of sales is NVIDIA. So 90% of new customers is shitt customers? Even yes, he has no right to call them shitty customers! So if he calls them that, he's a shitty developer. Not because he not want or can't support NVIDIA, just because he not respect users.

I can agree with this situation: My sway not support nvidia proprietary drivers, so don't buy it if u want my support. Just buy AMD.
        - this is ok.

but this: nvidia customers are shity customers. Fuck u and etc...
        - this is not ok.
        This just shows me that this guy is insane in some way.
        I just wrote a lengthy post explaining why Nvidia users ARE shitty customers, and you keep parroting the "this dev insulted me, he must be a moron or crazy" line again and again...

I am sorry, but uninformed customers that vote with their wallets against their best interests ARE shitty customers.

People who expect other people to work for them for free, ARE shitty customers. There is no way around it.

As for your stats, 2 things:

1) Your stats are false. According to official GPU shippment data, AMD has like 33% of the dgpu market currently. Yes this does not show on steam surveys because most of those dgpus are getting bought for mining and compute, not for gaming, because AMD gpus are really more powerful than NVIDIAs once you remove all the Gameworks shit. AMD cards have far more Teraflops/$. It is a simple fact.

2) Even if NVIDIA had 95% of the market, it still wouldn't make them good. Popularity != quality If that was the case, 90% of the market uses Windows, so it must be better quality than Linux, right? You want to tell us that most of the gaming market which concists mostly of kids and teenagers is somehow an informed and tech-savvy population? PLEEEEEAAAASEEE...... Kids buy things based on hype and what the kid next to them bought. I once had made a list of parts for a friends' friend, and a store clerk told that person to not by the -then brand new- AMD 6870 card because "it would burn his mainboard", and should be better off buying Nvidia. Seriously. Just seriously. And the guy believed the store clerk and bought Nvidia (plus an older Core 2 instead of a Sandybridge, for the same amount of money). One of the things i remember to this day. Most people are not tech savvy and believe any misconception, and most of all "gamers". So yeah i don't care if you have 99% of the market, i only look at facts.

Btw this developer from my understanding didn't call ALL Nvidia customers shitty, just the ones that keep pestering him to support the blob for free even though Nvidia was the one who decided to not play ball. And he is right.
        Last edited by TemplarGR; 05-16-2018, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
          Stop being so butthurt.

I did the same thing, switched to the 750ti when my 4850 card was slow and fan was getting way too loud.
          Until nvidia fixes their new allocation, just run i3 on your desktop. I have been running sway on my laptop with intel graphics, the i3 config file is almost completely compatible with the sway config so no need to reconfigure your setup. No need to be pissed at the OSS developers who are in a shitty situation.
          I'm perfectly fine with staying on X11 until this dies and I buy an AMD card. In fact, even if I weren't one of the people who fully agrees with the KDE decision not to support EGLStreams, I'd still be planning to stay on X11 beyond the switch to AMD while I wait for features like "preserve session across compositor freezes/crashes" to get ironed out.

My only issue is with sircmpwn's needlessly immature and disrespectful communication.

I would have been perfectly fine with something like "This is a hobby project and I'm not willing to take responsibility for cleaning up nVidia's messes, nor supporting the users who enable them."
          Last edited by ssokolow; 05-17-2018, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X