Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 3.0.1 Released With 60 Bugs Fixed

Phoronix: Wine 3.0.1 Released With 60 Bugs Fixed

For those not riding the exciting bi-weekly development releases of Wine, the Wine 3.0.1 stable release is out today as the first bug-fix update over the Wine 3.0 debut that happened earlier this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I see Civilization V is mentioned, but there's a Linux port for Civilization V already. Is anyone aware of a reason to use Wine to play Civilization V instead of just starting the Linux version?

Comment

Originally posted by SWY1985 View Post
      I see Civilization V is mentioned, but there's a Linux port for Civilization V already. Is anyone aware of a reason to use Wine to play Civilization V instead of just starting the Linux version?
      To test Wine, maybe? :P

Comment

Originally posted by SWY1985 View Post
        Wine is not about "support everything Windows related except if there is Linux port of it".
        If someone opened bug - it needs to be resolved. Wine is about generic bugs, so resolving Civ5 bug probably is also resolving issues with other applications.

Another reason is that some Linux ports are abandoned - for example game Ticket to Ride (abandoned by developer but for some reason Valve still allow them to sell this game with SteamOS logo; in the same time Windows edition is updated frequently with new content), Half-Life: Opposing Force (cannot end game on Linux port - ending is not loading). Civilization VI port technically is supported, but months behind Windows version.

Comment

My Windows based desktop SIP dialer app works now. The audio pass through makes the ringer sounds like one of those old phones using the clicker relay, but voice calls work perfectly, inbound and outbound. No stutter, delays or echo.

Doing some research apparently there is a way to register the DirectShow libraries from Microsoft to work properly in Wine, but I am still working on making it happen myself.

Comment

Good to see a nice collection of fixes, I particularly like the .NET fixes, will need to test this out. Lots of 64bit .net applications around that are needed for modding etc..

Comment

bi-weekly? as in twice a week or once every two weeks? wouldn't fortnightly be a more suitable word?

Comment

The reason to use Civilization V under WINE is because the Linux port does NOT support DLL mods. So, you can't run Vox Populi, JFDLC, WHoward's collection, mod tools, etc. Linux port is vanilla only which is garbage.

Comment

Working...
                X