No announcement yet.

System76 vs. The LVFS Firmware Updating Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I do disagree with a some decisions of System76, the way of the response is written in a good and proper fact based manner.

It's sad though they couldn't get to terms and we ain't got one solution for all.

Though, I do understand the position of redhat too to some degree, but maybe they could have trusted each other more. That's what contracts are for.

Comment

Originally posted by onicsis View Post
      That's not entirely true. For testing purpose, some years ago after I downloaded Maya 8.5 DVD ISOs, all I had to do was to convert packages from rpm to deb format using standard tools like fakeroot and alien(+a small crack maybe). Sometime it happens to crash, but it worked, using Ubuntu64bit with NVidia proprietary drivers.
      I know it is possible what I meant it's not officially supported. Even with fedora you will get no support. If I wanted software that crashed I would just use windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

The difference is that Red Hat is actually doing something for Linux while Oracle just uses Linux to make big money from their overrated distro, while killing OSS stuff and Solaris in the meantime.
        Oracle also bring lawsuits against anybody and everybody at every opportunity (including their own customers).

Comment

I confirmed that I was unable to the update the bios through Debian and the S76 support suggested me that I had to install their OS Ubuntu/Pop in order to install the firmware updating and then come to back to install Debian again...

From my point of view the issue is to rely on Ubuntu for everything, stop using Ubuntu please...
          Last edited by Danielsan; 14 May 2018, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            System76's update software relies on vendor blobs (executables from AMI, which is the UEFI provider) and due to that is vendor-specific.

Of course System76 probably has no other choice since they don't actually make their own systems, but this does not mean that calling them out for this makes you a RedHat evangelist.
            Yeah, I should have explained my thinking better than calling people names.

As I see, we have a company selling exclusively Linux machines, and although I do not intend to buy one of their currently models, I want them to succeed. On the other hand, we have Red Hat, one of the main force behind the Linux ecosystem and the biggest Linux company out there. I'm glad to be able to enjoy the fruits of their labor for free, but I can't help but notice that they are known to pursue their way on how thing works on Linux, not shying away to avoid using competing software from Suse or Canonical, starting way back in the nineties on RPM vs DEB package managing.

So when I saw one of their developers wanting to see a small Linux hardware vendor crash and burn just because they choose not to use a Red Hat solution, that make me angry. Is that because they choose to offer Ubuntu instead of a Red Hat distro? I don't know, but suggesting to buy Dell (a top Windows vendor) just because a firmware update program, that is not right to me.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

Yeah, I should have explained my thinking better than calling people names.

As I see, we have a company selling exclusively Linux machines, and although I do not intend to buy one of their currently models, I want them to succeed. On the other hand, we have Red Hat, one of the main force behind the Linux ecosystem and the biggest Linux company out there. I'm glad to be able to enjoy the fruits of their labor for free, but I can't help but notice that they are known to pursue their way on how thing works on Linux, not shying away to avoid using competing software from Suse or Canonical, starting way back in the nineties on RPM vs DEB package managing.

So when I saw one of their developers wanting to see a small Linux hardware vendor crash and burn just because they choose not to use a Red Hat solution, that make me angry. Is that because they choose to offer Ubuntu instead of a Red Hat distro? I don't know, but suggesting to buy Dell (a top Windows vendor) just because a firmware update program, that is not right to me.
              They suggested Dell, a top Linux vendor with excellent machines and support. I've been a XPS 13 user for almost 2 years, and these machines are a match made in heaven with Linux, and it just gets better after each iteration. You can say they are *also* a 'Top Windows vendor', but that should not matter at all, as long as they provide Linux support for their machines, which they do.

Comment

Working...
              X