System76 vs. The LVFS Firmware Updating Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
    Looks like Redhat NIH in full swing. If their solution for everything is not used, must be bad.
    Ummm.... it's System76 displaying NIH with their own proprietary solution... Let me guess, you hate systemd and Gnome too?

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
      the question here! how much Dell pay for this guy say that
      dell pays salaries to dell devs providing linux support. i think it pays much more than system76, which is selling "linux" systems with hardware from most linux-hostile vendor. if you will support linux like dell, this guy will say that about you too

Comment

Looks like Redhat NIH in full swing. If their solution for everything is not used, must be bad.
        looks like an idiot who would prefer closed source crap to open source tool if tool is written by redhat

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
          I don't get why system76wants to build their own.
          well, article mentions that they contracted rust disease. so they have to write something from scratch

Comment

AFAIK basically System76 just sells rebranded Clevo machines. So they probably don't have too much influence over the firmware update process, if at all.

Comment

Lol, lots of Red Hat evangelists here. But it its okay, they really helps the advance of the Linux ecosystem, I admit that.

But God forbid if you do not support their solutions for everything, or you will be lynched on the public square...

Comment

or you will be lynched on the public square...
                Or even... defenestrated!

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  they also found flashing the embedded controler from user-space to be sub-optimal.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                    Don't do business with RedHatOracle.
                    Fixed that for you.

Comment

Reading both blogs I think there are on both sides valid arguments. Whats important at the end of the day is that first the firmware gets updated automatically and secondly that the firmware is becoming step by step open source. It seems like System76 focuses on the second point and there I think that Red Hat should be more supportive. I don't think it is enough to just provide an easy solution for the vendors to update closed firmware blobs, it must encourage as well a solution for vendors that want to provide open source firmware step by step. I still have my doubts about System76 as they focus on providing closed firmware and driver blobs of Nvidia and I cannot understand their objectives here. On the other side Red Hat is as well the company that helped close down the open source firmware for ATI, as far as I remember.

Comment

Working...
                      X