Collabora Working On VirGL OpenGL ES Improvements, OpenGL ES For QEMU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collabora Working On VirGL OpenGL ES Improvements, OpenGL ES For QEMU

Phoronix: Collabora Working On VirGL OpenGL ES Improvements, OpenGL ES For QEMU

Elie Tournier, the former GSoC student developer who was working on soft FP64 support and then joined Collabora, has shared a status update on the consulting firm's work in the GPU virtualization space...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm actually really excited for this.

Comment

I'm thinking this work is being commissioned by Google to help bring up Virtual GPU support to ARM-based chromebooks that Google intends to support Linux VM apps (Crosvm / Crostini). IIRC, pretty much all the ARM SoCs used in Chromebooks have iGPUs that only support OpenGL ES and not OpenGL and thus support for that is required to be a VM host and offer accelerated graphics to guests.

Comment

I noticed this blog post a few weeks ago. I'm still very anxious to hear any news on the VirGL Windows Driver

Xaero_Vincent It seems Google is trying to get OpenGL ES to run everywhere https://github.com/google/angle

Comment

Hey, they said something about using Rust on it

Comment

Any chance to get something similar from AMD? Either Virgil-like or hw virtualization on consumer GPUs, just give us something please.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
              Any chance to get something similar from AMD? Either Virgil-like or hw virtualization on consumer GPUs, just give us something please.
              What prevents you from using Virgl on AMD cards?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

What prevents you from using Virgl on AMD cards?
                The fact that it only works on Intel?
                ## VGA ##

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

The fact that it only works on Intel?
                  Where do you see that? I don't see it on Virgl page. Aren't you confusing it with GT?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Where do you see that? I don't see it on Virgl page. Aren't you confusing it with GT?
                    When I first tried it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nXAv3u5e3g), it didn't work with radeonsi, only with Intel. Did it change?

Edit: it seems it did, I just saw a video with a radeonsi host.
                    Last edited by darkbasic; 11 May 2018, 10:53 AM.
                    ## VGA ##

Comment

Working...
                    X