KDE's Discover, Okular, Gwenview & K3B See Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Did you consider OpenSUSE? They have the OBS, which is a similar concept to AUR, but it is integrated with their graphical distro managmeent tool (yast) so you can just click on a link from the OBS site and it will open graphical wizard to add the repo and then install the package.

They also deal properly with such additional repos, by default the system does not try to install "whatever is newest amongst all repos", but will keep installing it from the same repositories it came from, so if you add a secondary repo that has a lot of other stuff you don't risk updating half the distro with unstable packages.
    Originally posted by ngraham View Post
    I believe Discover already supports OBS repos since they're just that: extra repos
    That sounds great! I had a bad one-time experience with OpenSUSE not booting the second time after installation, never looked for the reason and never tried again. Seems I missed something. I'll give it a try, thanks!

Comment

Hey Nate,

additional question about Okular.

It must be possible that the borders for PDF files would be automatically set to 0 (Zero/NULL).
      During my last printing jobs it was a nightmare (setting it over and over again to '0').
      Hints?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

It's not even fair to compare Debian and Ubuntu repos to AUR. Arch also has Unofficial User Repositories, those are much more comparable to Debian and Ubuntu repos.
        My point was to compare the AUR(+ Arch official repository) with Debians and Ubuntus repositories.
        The issue however is that there are many duplicate softwares in the AUR, i.e. same software but slightly patched. So when counting pure package count the numbers get a bit skewed.

Comment

ngraham

I just wanted to give you an update on that bug I claimed to have now that I've had a bit more time to sit at my PC -- on Arch I quit having bug77's search issue when I checked for Optional Dependencies and realized I didn't have "packagekit-qt5" or "flatpak" installed. Installed both and now I have options in the settings menu, searching for programs works as expected, etc. Outside of some UI lag it really isn't that bad of a program (especially with a not bugged theme allowing me to see everything), though it isn't something I'd use unless it had AUR support --- I understand not having it enabled by default, but can it be given a check box & a warning/disclaimer in the options similar to what Pamac and other Pacman GUIs do as a compromise?

I just don't want or need 2 or 3 different ways to install stuff and I'd like a good, full featured Plasma way to do things since I'm using a GTK3 updating program (Pamac) on my QT5 desktop. Outside of Octopi (which I don't really care for), Arch doesn't have a good QT5/Plasma updating program that covers everything (IMHO). Throwing us a bone with a check box and a build directory option (like Pamac) would net you a lot of users because our best "easy mode" option for package management on Plasma is a GTK3 program.

You might want to make a request of the Arch devs to move packagekit-qt5 from Optional to Required since that package not being installed could make people think Discover isn't working correctly when they're just missing the package that gives Discovery support for Arch packages (or a way for Discover to detect missing Optional packages and to remind users to install them for full functionality).

Thanks for everything. I appreciate the all work you're doing to make our desktops better.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            ngraham
            You might want to make a request of the Arch devs to move packagekit-qt5 from Optional to Required since that package not being installed could make people think Discover isn't working correctly when they're just missing the package that gives Discovery support for Arch packages (or a way for Discover to detect missing Optional packages and to remind users to install them for full functionality).

Thanks for everything. I appreciate the all work you're doing to make our desktops better.
            Thanks, I'll follow up on this!

Comment

Follow this: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/58524

Comment

Well, that got shot down fast (I can see their reasons, arch is very picky about what it installs).
                Still, not having packagekit-qt5 explains why Discover won't find apps. It doesn't explain why it finds all kinds of other crap instead.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Well, that got shot down fast (I can see their reasons, arch is very picky about what it installs).
                  Still, not having packagekit-qt5 explains why Discover won't find apps. It doesn't explain why it finds all kinds of other crap instead.
                  Because without packagekit-qt5, the only content it'll find by default is plasma and kde app addons.

Honestly it seems like if you want to use Discover, you probably shouldn't be using Arch. The distro is designed around understanding technical details; Discover's whole reason for existing is to hide them.

Comment

Because without packagekit-qt5, the only content it'll find by default is plasma and kde app addons.

Honestly it seems like if you want to use Discover, you probably shouldn't be using Arch. The distro is designed around understanding technical details; Discover's whole reason for existing is to hide them.
                    Ok, arguments seem to have tendency to go straight over your head, so I'm going to ask as directly as I can: why the f*ck does Discover (on an up-to-date Kubuntu) return AdWaitaMS* when I search for libreoffice?

That's why it's a pile of crap, that's why it drags the whole KDE experience down, that's why it should be put to rest.

*AdWaitaMS category: GTK 3.x themes

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Ok, arguments seem to have tendency to go straight over your head, so I'm going to ask as directly as I can: why the f*ck does Discover (on an up-to-date Kubuntu) return AdWaitaMS* when I search for libreoffice?

That's why it's a pile of crap, that's why it drags the whole KDE experience down, that's why it should be put to rest.

*AdWaitaMS category: GTK 3.x themes
                      I've been trying to help you for days, so I don't appreciated the unwarranted rudeness. We may not have met in real life, but there are humans behind both ends of this conversation. If you wouldn't talk that way to someone in person, I would appreciate it if you would lend me the same courtesy. Thanks.

Anyway, there are two issues:
                      - Discover doesn't find include without at least one app backend installed
                      - Discover returns seemingly unrelated results a lot

I would recommend filing a bug with https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Discover whenever you see issue #2.

Comment

Working...
                      X