Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Discover, Okular, Gwenview & K3B See Improvements

Phoronix: KDE's Discover, Okular, Gwenview & K3B See Improvements

KDE contributor Nathaniel Graham has published another weekly blog post detailing the latest enhancements that are ongoing in KDE desktop/application development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm a KDE guy through and through, but Discover? Really? That's such an embarassment of an app, it's not worth dedicating any effort. Except the effort of putting it out of its misery.
    And K3b... Great app at its time, but who burns CDs and DVDs these days?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      I'm a KDE guy through and through, but Discover? Really? That's such an embarassment of an app, it's not worth dedicating any effort. Except the effort of putting it out of its misery.
      And K3b... Great app at its time, but who burns CDs and DVDs these days?
      Hi, Nate here. Have you used the 5.12 version of Discover? IMHO it's a lot better than older ones. We've been putting a lot of effort into making DIscover good, so if you have any suggestions for improvement, we're all ears.

Comment

Always happy to see Okular receive some love, one of the better document viewers I know of - and while it might be a gimmick, the infinite drag scroll is actually a really nice feature.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

Hi, Nate here. Have you used the 5.12 version of Discover? IMHO it's a lot better than older ones. We've been putting a lot of effort into making DIscover good, so if you have any suggestions for improvement, we're all ears.
          yep. discover was miserable and now starts becoming acceptable. however lots of stuff comes down to bad metadata / appdata. the discover team may be able to communicate lead an effort to better this situation? just an idea. like the design team threw out new icons even for app-devs that did not cooperate timely

@bug77: I use k3b to rip my audio cds to flac all the time

Comment

Hey Nate, thanks so much for this "Usability & productivity" initiative !
            KDE is making strides and I have the feeling it gets the equivalent of 6 months of improvements every week ! That's just crazy ! :-)
            As for Discover, it's come a long way. Which is especially impressive : enthusiasm & great work can turn something barely usable into something beautiful in a few months

Edit : KDE users can support Nate's Patreon to work full time on this !! :-) https://www.patreon.com/ngraham
            Last edited by torturedutopian; 06 May 2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Oh, I have used the 5.12 version of Discover, it is not very good...
              I used to like Muon Discover, which was the default GUI software store in Kubuntu prior to the switch from KDE SC4 to Plasma 5, but sadly Muon Discover is no longer maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by mzs.112000 View Post
                Oh, I have used the 5.12 version of Discover, it is not very good...
                I used to like Muon Discover, which was the default GUI software store in Kubuntu prior to the switch from KDE SC4 to Plasma 5, but sadly Muon Discover is no longer maintained.
                What are your complaints about Discover? What can we improve?

Comment

Here's what Discover does on Kubuntu 17.10 (with backports): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T0p...ew?usp=sharing

It's not any better in up-to-date Arch.

Why on Earth anyone thought it was a good idea to replace one program for another before it reach feature parity is beyond me.

(Still no "insert image" in 2018? That's just peachy Michael)

Comment

What are your complaints about Discover? What can we improve?
                    The UI is bad, I liked the one from Muon Discover in 14.04, also, in PLasma Discover, there are sometimes bugs where it becomes unresponsive and the screen flickers really fast.

Comment

Working...
                    X