Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE's Discover, Okular, Gwenview & K3B See Improvements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

    Here's what Discover does on Kubuntu 17.10 (with backports): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T0p...ew?usp=sharing

    It's not any better in up-to-date Arch.

    Why on Earth anyone thought it was a good idea to replace one program for another before it reach feature parity is beyond me.

    (Still no "insert image" in 2018? That's just peachy Michael)
    Correct me, if I'm wrong... but I thought Discover is not a replacement for the package manager, it is there to allow normal users to install from KDE Store, flatpaks, addons... But the issue is, that most people, me included, do not understand the purpose of Discover by just opening the app. And I think that is something that should be fixed.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by R41N3R View Post

      Correct me, if I'm wrong... but I thought Discover is not a replacement for the package manager, it is there to allow normal users to install from KDE Store, flatpaks, addons... But the issue is, that most people, me included, do not understand the purpose of Discover by just opening the app. And I think that is something that should be fixed.
      Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to be able to install something, isn't finding that something a requirement? That is also something that should be fixed.

      As a general rule, if a generic application isn't easily usable without fiddling with configuration and/or going to the manual, it is a failure.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by ngraham View Post

        What are your complaints about Discover? What can we improve?
        Hi Nate.
        Do you think it might be wanted to make Discover support finding packages in the Arch User Repository (AUR) on Arch systems?
        I'd be willing to invest some time into that (although not on the short-term) if the developers were okay with it.

        Let me describe a use-case I think of:
        Discover is meant to be easy to use. It's easy enough for my parents.
        On Arch-based systems -- Antergos and Manjaro are easy to use -- you need to use a full-featured package manager like octopi or pamac to install AUR packages from a GUI. This makes the AUR unreachable for not-quite-administrator-qualified people like my parents, since none of these GUI tools are exactly beginner-friendly.
        But they'd have no problem updating their system with Discover. But that will ultimately lead to outdated packages for the stuff from the AUR, which is then not updated.

        (For anyone thinking, why would I give an Arch-based system to my parents? Finding and adding PPAs is certainly not easier than using the AUR).

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by mzs.112000 View Post

          The UI is bad, I liked the one from Muon Discover in 14.04, also, in PLasma Discover, there are sometimes bugs where it becomes unresponsive and the screen flickers really fast.
          UI improvements have been a big priority for the 5.13 release, and we hope that people find it improved. YOu can see a screenshot of the browse list in 5.13 on https://pointieststick.wordpress.com...ivity-part-17/
          Last edited by ngraham; 05-06-2018, 06:15 PM.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by bug77 View Post

            Here's what Discover does on Kubuntu 17.10 (with backports): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T0p...ew?usp=sharing

            It's not any better in up-to-date Arch.
            Please file a bug! Fixing search issues has been a high priority for us, and if there afew issues left over, we'd like to know so we can fix them.

            Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Why on Earth anyone thought it was a good idea to replace one program for another before it reach feature parity is beyond me.
            I agree, and I'm not particularly happy with how the transition was handled. Hopefully we can regain some of that lost trust over time as Discover matures.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by elvenbone View Post
              On Arch-based systems -- Antergos and Manjaro are easy to use -- you need to use a full-featured package manager like octopi or pamac to install AUR packages from a GUI. This makes the AUR unreachable for not-quite-administrator-qualified people like my parents, since none of these GUI tools are exactly beginner-friendly.
              But they'd have no problem updating their system with Discover. But that will ultimately lead to outdated packages for the stuff from the AUR, which is then not updated.

              (For anyone thinking, why would I give an Arch-based system to my parents? Finding and adding PPAs is certainly not easier than using the AUR).
              Hmm, I'm not sure AUR makes any sense for a non-sysadmin-or-IT person to use. AUR packages are anything but stable, and people already have a tendency to blame Discover for problems caused by our software sources.

              If packages your parents care about are only available via AUR, that may be a sign that they should be using a distro with a wider selection of software available in the normal repo (or that they need your help and probably always will).

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by bug77 View Post

                Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to be able to install something, isn't finding that something a requirement? That is also something that should be fixed.

                As a general rule, if a generic application isn't easily usable without fiddling with configuration and/or going to the manual, it is a failure.
                It's not a missing feature, it's a bug. Works fine for me with Kubuntu 18.04 BTW: https://i.imgur.com/4pKa7zE.png

                Kubuntu 18.04 is really fantastic and I highly recommend upgrading.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by ngraham View Post

                  It's not a missing feature, it's a bug. Works fine for me with Kubuntu 18.04 BTW: https://i.imgur.com/4pKa7zE.png

                  Kubuntu 18.04 is really fantastic and I highly recommend upgrading.
                  In his screenshot he was showing the scrollbar at around 40% from the top. I think he might have wanted to show how it also pulls up a few buckets of themes that have no relevance to the search.

                  This happens also on OpenSUSE Tumbleweed (using Discover 5.12.4), it finds what I'm looking for, but then there are buckets of themes and other unrelated stuff. Unless I click FIRST on "applications" and then do the search.

                  It seems it also tries to update the repos every time I open it, and if it can't do so (I'm using package manager for other stuff) it crashes.

                  On the positive side, flatpack integration is surprisingly decent, I can click on flathub and it opens on Discover and it can install stuff, which then works (unless it is Steam).

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by elvenbone View Post

                    Hi Nate.
                    Do you think it might be wanted to make Discover support finding packages in the Arch User Repository (AUR) on Arch systems?
                    I'd be willing to invest some time into that (although not on the short-term) if the developers were okay with it.

                    Let me describe a use-case I think of:
                    Discover is meant to be easy to use. It's easy enough for my parents.
                    On Arch-based systems -- Antergos and Manjaro are easy to use -- you need to use a full-featured package manager like octopi or pamac to install AUR packages from a GUI. This makes the AUR unreachable for not-quite-administrator-qualified people like my parents, since none of these GUI tools are exactly beginner-friendly.
                    But they'd have no problem updating their system with Discover. But that will ultimately lead to outdated packages for the stuff from the AUR, which is then not updated.

                    (For anyone thinking, why would I give an Arch-based system to my parents? Finding and adding PPAs is certainly not easier than using the AUR).
                    Did you consider OpenSUSE? They have the OBS, which is a similar concept to AUR, but it is integrated with their graphical distro managmeent tool (yast) so you can just click on a link from the OBS site and it will open graphical wizard to add the repo and then install the package.

                    They also deal properly with such additional repos, by default the system does not try to install "whatever is newest amongst all repos", but will keep installing it from the same repositories it came from, so if you add a secondary repo that has a lot of other stuff you don't risk updating half the distro with unstable packages.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      Did you consider OpenSUSE? They have the OBS, which is a similar concept to AUR, but it is integrated with their graphical distro managmeent tool (yast) so you can just click on a link from the OBS site and it will open graphical wizard to add the repo and then install the package.

                      They also deal properly with such additional repos, by default the system does not try to install "whatever is newest amongst all repos", but will keep installing it from the same repositories it came from, so if you add a secondary repo that has a lot of other stuff you don't risk updating half the distro with unstable packages.
                      I believe Discover already supports OBS repos since they're just that: extra repos--like Ubuntu PPAs, but with more options. AUR is a fundamentally different thing. This is reflected by the fact that using it requires a different tool (either CLI or GUI).

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X