GIMP Now Moving Full Steam Ahead With Their GTK3 Port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
    Why is it that QT fanbois feel the need to troll alternative projects? Probably deep-seated insecurities and mental health issues, I guess ...
    No, it's because everyone is switching from gtk to qt. Never opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

Neither is killing Linux. If anything, GNOME 3.x and Systemd have expanded Linux's desktop viabilities.
      Care to explain? SystemD is great, but Gnome sucks a lot, so I wonder how it expanded Linux's desktop viabilities.

Why is it that QT fanbois feel the need to troll alternative projects? Probably deep-seated insecurities and mental health issues, I guess ...
      It's obvious: nobody ports from Qt to Gtk. It's always opposite, so sooner or later they will port Gtk application to Qt.
      Last edited by Guest; 02 May 2018, 07:26 AM. Reason: because of stupid scripts

Comment

Originally posted by dkasak View Post
        Probably they know it will end as always: gtk application ported to Qt. Never opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          What about Inkscape and Audacity? They are still stuck with GTK2 as well. And all these projects should switch to Qt to begin with. Such effort will pay off.
          ew.. Qt..

Comment

Originally posted by arakan94 View Post

ew.. Qt..
            For better or for worse, the talk about porting Subsurface was right on the nose. GTK+ may have been equal or even better in some areas, but the inferior documentation and community support were deal-breakers for anyone not already a GTK+ expert. It's also been my experience that, under GTK+, you have to reinvent a lot of wheels that Qt gives you for free, such as toolbar/panel customization and window geometry/state persistence with deferred/batched config writes in only two or three lines. ...and, regardless of what I'm developing for, I always come back to qdbusviewer as a GUI browser for D-Bus APIs.

(That said, as someone who's used both PyQt and PyGTK, I can point out some areas Qt is worse. For example, GObject Introspection is a marvel for exposing bindings to other languages. Also, last I checked, Qt still only knew the older, desktop-specific ways to request the name of the current icon theme (ie. No themed icons under LXDE), QImage has no equivalent to GdkPixbufLoader for progressive display when an image load isn't instantaneous, and, while Qt has supported running on top of a Glib event loop since Qt 4, a lot of Glib-based libraries expose their non-C API bindings only via GObject Introspection these days and I'm uncertain whether PyQt and PyGI get along as well as Qt's C++ API and Glib's C API.)
            Last edited by ssokolow; 04 May 2018, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X