GIMP Now Moving Full Steam Ahead With Their GTK3 Port

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Not sure about Inkscape, but the Audacity team is interested in GTK3, mainly because of the HiDPI support. But the problem is that it requires them to build Audacity against wxWidgets GTK3 rather than wxWidgets GTK2 but the former is very, very buggy atm. So buggy in fact that Solus rolled back to wxWidgets GTK2.
    I'd consider changing the toolkit in such case to begin with. Like to Qt. There isn't much else they can do. That's the issue with using toolkits that are poorly maintained.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
      Switching to GTK3 is a terrible thing, GTK3 has horrible non standard title bars for windows and breaks themes all the time so there is not a single usable theme…

I’ve switched from the great Xfce to LXQt because of GTK3. GTK3 like systemd is killing linux.
      I agreed until you mentioned systemd.

Comment

GTK3 like systemd is killing linux.
        systemd is not killing Linux. GNOME kind of is, though.

Comment

GTK3 has horrible non standard title bars for windows
          GTK3 like systemd is killing linux.
          linux or windows? i'm confused. though, what to expect from systemd haters

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            What about Inkscape and Audacity? They are still stuck with GTK2 as well. And all these projects should switch to Qt to begin with. Such effort will pay off.
            and Dia. Not to QT though, just to GTK3 or 4

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Not sure about Inkscape, but the Audacity team is interested in GTK3, mainly because of the HiDPI support. But the problem is that it requires them to build Audacity against wxWidgets GTK3 rather than wxWidgets GTK2 but the former is very, very buggy atm. So buggy in fact that Solus rolled back to wxWidgets GTK2.
              Inkscape already has an experimental GTK+3 code base and for sure they won't touch Qt, and rightly so.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

systemd is not killing Linux. GNOME kind of is, though.
                Neither is killing Linux. If anything, GNOME 3.x and Systemd have expanded Linux's desktop viabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  I'd consider changing the toolkit in such case to begin with. Like to Qt.
                  why switch to qt when you can switch to gtkmm?

Comment

I know of two main dictators on Linux (to me linux was always just a kernel, but i will comment what other people here mean by Linux), that is Red Hat and Freedesktop.org. While, on Windows we have Microsoft as sole dictator

These are trying to create, promote and of course to push things we like to call "standards" Standards are kind of good to have, but same standards of course always means - less freedom, blah, blah... more standards in turn means less freedom

And that is what it is the best is to keep long story short... if you don't compile or jus think, then pick your dictator otherwise dictator will pick you

But really, people should use proper wording for less freedoms pusherers like Poetteringism, FDOism, RedCrapware, Microsofting of Linux, etc... You see, just be inventive, linux again is just a kernel Even if you feels like today's Linux is actually Windows just with systemd, just say it as dictator won't listen anyway
                    Last edited by dungeon; 01 May 2018, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Why is it that QT fanbois feel the need to troll alternative projects? Probably deep-seated insecurities and mental health issues, I guess ...

Comment

Working...
                      X