Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.13 Bringing New Lock & Log-In Screens

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.13 Bringing New Lock & Log-In Screens

Among many other improvements, KDE's upcoming Plasma 5.13 release is bringing new log-in and lock screens for the desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It looks awesome, reminds me a bit of elementary os's design.
    But I really hope that...
    And after moving the mouse, typing on the keyboard, or tapping the touchscreen, the image is darkened and blurred, and the controls become visible
    ...doesn't mean that an additional keypress is necessary. This annoys me so much whenever I sit in front of a Windows 10 PC.

Comment

Originally posted by elvenbone View Post

...doesn't mean that an additional keypress is necessary. This annoys me so much whenever I sit in front of a Windows 10 PC.
      No it does not.

Comment

This looks really nice :-) I like where KDE is developing. Only the "Unlock" button should get a refresh too.

Comment

I am almost on the edge of switching to KDE.
          When I go from 17.10 -> 18.04 it will be most likely happen.

I would kinda prefere KDE Neon over Kubuntu since you always get the latest KDE Software
          but the developers seem kind of uncoordinated. Thy still don't know when they are switching to 18.04 as the new base.
          With Kubuntu I know when they are going to release new versions.

However I would have never imagined actually considering KDE.
          I still know not too long ago when desktop icons weren't a thing and "one click" was the holy grail. Death to all "double click" heretics.
          Glad they open up to "normal" people.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is an improvement.
            Generally I don't like the hidden controls, buttons, input fields idea because:
            1. It's not intuitive at at all, as a user you have no idea that you have to move the mouse or press a key to see something that's hidden, this can only be discovered by mistake without any hints, so it's good only for users that are not new.
            2. It's always slower for the brain to calculate the next move, because you have to wait to see the current status and positions of things, compared to seeing them from the beginning.
            Like the auto-hide scroll bar in file manages and browsers where if you want to use it you have to:
            a) Move the mouse
            b) Look up and down with the eyes to find the bar segment segment
            c) Go go it, click-and-hold and move it up or down.
            In Windows the scroll bar it's always there and the whole locate the scroll bar segment could be done more in advance so it's always faster than Linux.

Comment

There is a minimal install option during the *buntu 18.04 installation process that ends up installing a very Neon-like lean desktop. Then, if you are really keen, you could add the Kubuntu-CI/stable PPA and get a more or less rolling release. I've been using Kubuntu-CI for 6 months with two minor hiccups and just today added it to a fresh Kubuntu 18.04 install and I've had no problems whatsoever. It's the best kept KDE secret I've ever known so don't tell anyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Like the auto-hide scroll bar in file manages and browsers where if you want to use it you have to:
                a) Move the mouse
                b) Look up and down with the eyes to find the bar segment segment
                c) Go go it, click-and-hold and move it up or down.
                In Windows the scroll bar it's always there and the whole locate the scroll bar segment could be done more in advance so it's always faster than Linux.
                *faster than GNOME. In KDE, the scroll bar is always there

EDIT: In Windows you can't even scroll using your mouse wheel when the respective part of a Window isn't focused by clicking on it beforehand.
                Last edited by elvenbone; 01 May 2018, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by elvenbone View Post

Or in front of GDM (the GDM lock screen also requires an extra keypress).

Comment

Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
                    I am almost on the edge of switching to KDE.
                    When I go from 17.10 -> 18.04 it will be most likely happen.

I would kinda prefere KDE Neon over Kubuntu since you always get the latest KDE Software
                    but the developers seem kind of uncoordinated. Thy still don't know when they are switching to 18.04 as the new base.
                    With Kubuntu I know when they are going to release new versions.

However I would have never imagined actually considering KDE.
                    I still know not too long ago when desktop icons weren't a thing and "one click" was the holy grail. Death to all "double click" heretics.
                    Glad they open up to "normal" people.
                    Even back then you could change the default click behavior to double click (just like you can now change it to single click).

Comment

Working...
                    X