Libplacebo: Punting MPV's GPU Video/Image Rendering Into A Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libplacebo: Punting MPV's GPU Video/Image Rendering Into A Library

Phoronix: Libplacebo: Punting MPV's GPU Video/Image Rendering Into A Library

Libplacebo is an effort to shift the MPlayer2-forked MPV media player's core rendering code into a reusable library. The libplacebo library can allow for cleaning up MPV's APIs in the process as well as providing a standard library for GPU-accelerated video and image processing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

nice project, why the bad name tough?

Comment

One of the listed goals - "Provide a standard library of useful GPU-accelerated image processing primitives based on GLSL, so projects like VLC or Firefox can use them without incurring a heavy dependency on libmpv."
      It would be wonderful if FF could get its shit together in terms of accelerated video decode on Linux. I'm not holding my breathe though.

Comment

Michael forgot to mention it uses Meson o_O.

Comment

Punting MPV's GPU Video/Image Rendering Into A Library
          I think you meant "Putting"

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
            Michael forgot to mention it uses Meson o_O.
            Why would that be worthy of a mention?

What is possibly worthy of a mention is that VLC already uses libplacebo. Not for the actual video output though, at least not for now. For now VLC uses it for tonemapping, which is used for displaying HDR video on a SDR display.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
              Why would that be worthy of mention?
              Well, I was just being sarcastic, but if you must know: Because that should make it usable as a Meson submodule. That makes a lot of sense for a library!

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                What is possibly worthy of a mention is that VLC already uses libplacebo. Not for the actual video output though, at least not for now. For now VLC uses it for tonemapping, which is used for displaying HDR video on a SDR display.
                VLC uses libplacebo for tonemapping with OpenGL renderer which is used on Linux but it uses another (homegrown?) tonemapper written in HLSL with DirectX renderers - which is default on Windows. Interestingly, the two give vastly different results with some HDR videos (e.g. Sony's "glass blowing" HDR demo is strikingly different).

Comment

Anybody else reminiscent of xine?

Comment

Originally posted by NeetFeet View Post
                    I think you meant "Putting"
                    They're kicking the code out into a library -- punting is a much more visually descriptive word for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X