No announcement yet.

GIMP 2.10 Released With A Ton Of Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love GIMP, it is an amazing piece of software!
    It's just too bad it seems to lack developers. I would love to see more developers contribute to GIMP. This release have taken far too long time!
    The releases are too long time between, and it's still not GTK3.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
      It is disappointing that such important software is still stuck at GTK2!
      He, he, i am sure i can find more people dissapointed with GTK3

Comment

Yawn. So glad Blender doesn't develop at such an abhorrently glacial pace. Gimp doesn't touch Affinity Photo/Designer [and yes for $100 combined they are well worth the purchase]. Hell, even Pixelmator Pro is worth the purchase.

It's comical that I get quality PNG/JPEG/GIF/TIFF/PSD/PDF/SVG/EPS/EXR/HDR out of the box and native support for Photoshop Plugins [and soon Actions] from Affinity while this software package has been living in 1999 for far too long.

So much for the FOSS Community stepping up with GEGL and getting the OpenCL port ready. It's only taken 5+ years and it's nowhere near ready.

Thankfully, companies like AMD have pitched in heavily, but never seems to be enough for some. I'll take production quality affordable software over waiting a decade for what you folks think are impressive improvements.

Let's hope the Port to GTK+3 is done within 6 months or just focus on GTK+4 and get current already, because we all know GTK+ 4 will be out for at least 12 -18 months before this Port to GTK+ 3.x will be ready.

FWIW: The default color scheme options are still hideous. Something about three very painful sets of contrasting dark to light gray options that just don't scream, HIG.

Blender is far more complex than GIMP.

Comment

I can't really blame the community for not helping much. This type of software is over the heads of most developers, and most artists aren't developers, so the total number of developers that can contribute is quite small compared to simpler apps. I'm a "senior developer" but wouldn't know where to start and have never worked with GTK. I'd love to see Gimp improve, but considering I do so little photo editing, I can't see justifying the time to learn so many new things.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            Blender is far more complex than GIMP.
            Blender had 3 times more contributors too, about 300. Gimp is about 100, Inkscape about 200 and so on

Just trying to translate "far more" with actual numbers

LibreOffice and FFMPEG are among craziets on contributors numbers... seems much more people wanna office suite and to watch clips/movies than to deal with pictures
            Last edited by dungeon; 27 April 2018, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Marc Driftmeyer
              I don't really understand the point of your rant. GIMP progresses slowly because there aren't enough devoted devs. It isn't going to magically get better just because it needs to. I'm not the type of person to say "it's open source - if it's so important to you, why don't you pitch in" but you do seem to have this sense of entitlement and I don't get where it's coming from. That being said, what have you done to make it better? You're willing to spend $100 on commercial software, but what have you contributed toward GIMP?

As for Blender, that has a larger group of devs. To my understanding, Blender hasn't been trapped inside a decaying body (like GTK2), so it was easier for it to grow. Furthermore, most of the things GIMP lacks arguably would exceed the complexity of what Blender has. So by that logic, that's like constructing a building out of bricks, but there's only have 1 bricklayer who only has a ladder to gain elevation. And then you come along wondering why it's taking so long with shoddy quality.

For the record, I agree that GIMP is very behind the times and it's a bit disappointing, but I feel you're coming off a bit too strong on this.

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
              Blender had 3 times more contributors too, about 300. Gimp is about 100, Inkscape about 200 and so on

Just trying to translate "far more" with actual numbers
              Doesn't GIMP have only about a dozen active developers?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Doesn't GIMP have only about a dozen active developers?
                I am talkging about relativly spoken total so absolute numbers of these who contribulted anything to projects ever, in a code sense of course (at least one commit)

It is always that dozen are most active at any moment in any project really
                Last edited by dungeon; 27 April 2018, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                  Yawn[...]
                  You won the prize "Troll of the day", congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                    You won the prize "Troll of the day", congrats!
                    To be honest! He has some valid points in his reply. The Gimp used to be a very important piece of software for the open source community. But nowadays no one talks about The Gimp anymore. He is also right, when he says that The Gimp still relies on a Toolkit, that has been deprecated for quite a long time now. The Toolkit, that used to be the root of the existence of The Gimp...

You all compare the lack of developers that actively contribute to The Gimp. Couldn't this be the fact, that everyone simply has given up on it ? Even Krita with lot less active developers than what exists for The Gimp is miles ahead now. I remember the times where Krita has shown up as a small painting program for KDE and these days it's actively maintained, modernized and even passed The Gimp in every corner.

The day we see a The Gimp with Gtk3 or Gtk4 will be within the next 12 upcoming years. No serious graphican has the time waiting for this, so they spent the 100 or more bucks in buying a commercial product like Photoshop to finally get the job done.

So you may call it a "Troll of the day". I call it a "realistic view of the situation".

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                      Slightly ironic, seeing as GIMP is kind of why GTK exists in the first place.
                      About as much as GIMP is a replacement for photoshop
                      edit: trigger alert!

Comment

Working...
                      X